Nov 9, 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
Doug Padilla has a story over at ESPN Chicago talking up the close relationship between Paul Konerko and White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf. The upshot for our purposes: that relationship has made it so that Konerko has agreed to come back to Reinsdorf with whatever offers he gets while out on the market and will give the Sox the chance to match it.
Refreshing, I think, in that as Padilla notes, this isn’t common. And when it does happen, it often involves some gamesmanship (“Oh yeah, the Yankees offered me, um 200 BILLION dollars! Yeah, that’s the ticket . . .”). That doesn’t seem to be the case here.
But even if it was, can we picture Konerko going elsewhere? It’s been 500 years since he was a Dodgers prospect, and if any of you can remember him in a Reds uniform, you have a better memory than I do. And that’s before even getting into the fact that the Sox need his offense and need it badly.
Trust or no trust — and don’t get me wrong, it’s good to see — I think Konerko and the Sox need each other and will still be together when the winter turns to spring.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)