Nov 10, 2010, 10:33 PM EDT
The Angels are going to make a serious run this winter at free agent outfielder Carl Crawford. This is something we’ve all known for weeks, and now it’s finally being talked about.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times wrote this evening that the Angels have identified the multi-talented Crawford as their “primary” offseason target and are prepared to make him the franchise’s first “$100-million man.” That’s what it’s going to take to land the left fielder, who registered a .307 batting average, 851 OPS, 19 homers and 47 stolen bases in 50 chances this season for the American League East champion Rays.
He also has fantastic range in the outfield and rightfully collected his first Gold Glove this season.
Angels veteran Torii Hunter shared his honest thoughts about the Crawford idea with Shaikin:
“The Yankees are not going to go after him,” Hunter said. “They’ve got Cliff Lee. Boston might be the team. “I think Boston and the Angels, that will be the bidding war.”
Hunter’s right. The Red Sox are going to be serious bidders, and other teams will be at least making offers in what is likely to be a long and drawn-out negotiation process . HBT’s Matthew Pouliot rated him as the No. 2 free agent on the market this winter.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)