Nov 10, 2010, 10:33 PM EDT
The Angels are going to make a serious run this winter at free agent outfielder Carl Crawford. This is something we’ve all known for weeks, and now it’s finally being talked about.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times wrote this evening that the Angels have identified the multi-talented Crawford as their “primary” offseason target and are prepared to make him the franchise’s first “$100-million man.” That’s what it’s going to take to land the left fielder, who registered a .307 batting average, 851 OPS, 19 homers and 47 stolen bases in 50 chances this season for the American League East champion Rays.
He also has fantastic range in the outfield and rightfully collected his first Gold Glove this season.
Angels veteran Torii Hunter shared his honest thoughts about the Crawford idea with Shaikin:
“The Yankees are not going to go after him,” Hunter said. “They’ve got Cliff Lee. Boston might be the team. “I think Boston and the Angels, that will be the bidding war.”
Hunter’s right. The Red Sox are going to be serious bidders, and other teams will be at least making offers in what is likely to be a long and drawn-out negotiation process . HBT’s Matthew Pouliot rated him as the No. 2 free agent on the market this winter.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 2
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 21
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 41
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)