Nov 10, 2010, 10:33 PM EDT
The Angels are going to make a serious run this winter at free agent outfielder Carl Crawford. This is something we’ve all known for weeks, and now it’s finally being talked about.
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times wrote this evening that the Angels have identified the multi-talented Crawford as their “primary” offseason target and are prepared to make him the franchise’s first “$100-million man.” That’s what it’s going to take to land the left fielder, who registered a .307 batting average, 851 OPS, 19 homers and 47 stolen bases in 50 chances this season for the American League East champion Rays.
He also has fantastic range in the outfield and rightfully collected his first Gold Glove this season.
Angels veteran Torii Hunter shared his honest thoughts about the Crawford idea with Shaikin:
“The Yankees are not going to go after him,” Hunter said. “They’ve got Cliff Lee. Boston might be the team. “I think Boston and the Angels, that will be the bidding war.”
Hunter’s right. The Red Sox are going to be serious bidders, and other teams will be at least making offers in what is likely to be a long and drawn-out negotiation process . HBT’s Matthew Pouliot rated him as the No. 2 free agent on the market this winter.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 24
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 20
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 107
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (108)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)