Nov 10, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Everyone is focused on the Cliff Lees and Carl Crawfords of the world, and rightfully so, but hundreds of minor leaguers recently became free agents after their teams declined to add them to the 40-man roster following six professional seasons.
Collecting all those names is a lot harder than rounding up all the big-league free agents, but Matt Eddy of Baseball America did the dirty work and has compiled a list of minor leaguers hitting the open market, broken down by team.
Tons of former top prospects, one-time big leaguers, and random “hey, I remember those guys” on the list, including one of the biggest prospect busts of the past decade.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (114)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)