Nov 10, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Beau Torbert spent four seasons playing in Houston’s farm system after the Astros made him their 17th-round pick in 2004, but the 6-foot-4 outfielder hit just .250 with one homer and a .642 OPS in 93 games between Double-A and Triple-A in 2007 and was cut.
Since then he’s been playing for the independent league Sioux Falls Pheasants of the American Association, where Torbert won back-to-back MVP awards. This season he earned Baseball America‘s independent league player of the year honors by hitting .394 with 24 homers and 100 RBIs in 95 games.
And now the Braves have signed the 27-year-old Torbert to a minor-league contract with plans to send him to Double-A or Triple-A in 2011.
“He’s put up good numbers in the independent leagues,” general manager Frank Wren told David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. “The numbers have improved each of the past three years. When you look at those kind of players that continue to improve and put up numbers, I think it’s worth taking a look.”
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 11
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)