Nov 10, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Camden Yards — the flagship of the new era of ballparks — has been undergoing some minor renovations over the past couple of years. The team announced the latest round yesterday:
At the request of the Orioles, the club level and upper deck at Camden Yards will be furnished with wider seats that will be more comfortable for fans. In addition, sightlines for fans on both of those levels will be improved, as new, less intrusive railings will be installed, enhancing the view of those sitting in the first few rows of both levels, as well as fans sitting in and around upper deck equal access and companion seats.
The effect of this — other than just giving O’s fans more butt room — will be to cut seating capacity down by 2,319. Which isn’t a terribly big deal because the O’s rarely if ever draw sellout crowds anymore, and room for 45,971 is likely adequate.
Another effect: making me feel old. I still think of Camden Yards as “new.” In reality, there are only a handful of parks that are older. You got Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim, Oakland, Kauffman, Rogers Centre, U.S. Cellular, Tropicana Field and whatever the hell they’re calling the Marlins’ stadium this week. Really, that’s the list of venerable ballparks. One of them will fall off that list in a couple of years. Another two — The Oakland Coliseum and the Trop — will eventually if there’s any justice in the world. Crazy.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)