Nov 10, 2010, 9:40 AM EST
Camden Yards — the flagship of the new era of ballparks — has been undergoing some minor renovations over the past couple of years. The team announced the latest round yesterday:
At the request of the Orioles, the club level and upper deck at Camden Yards will be furnished with wider seats that will be more comfortable for fans. In addition, sightlines for fans on both of those levels will be improved, as new, less intrusive railings will be installed, enhancing the view of those sitting in the first few rows of both levels, as well as fans sitting in and around upper deck equal access and companion seats.
The effect of this — other than just giving O’s fans more butt room — will be to cut seating capacity down by 2,319. Which isn’t a terribly big deal because the O’s rarely if ever draw sellout crowds anymore, and room for 45,971 is likely adequate.
Another effect: making me feel old. I still think of Camden Yards as “new.” In reality, there are only a handful of parks that are older. You got Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim, Oakland, Kauffman, Rogers Centre, U.S. Cellular, Tropicana Field and whatever the hell they’re calling the Marlins’ stadium this week. Really, that’s the list of venerable ballparks. One of them will fall off that list in a couple of years. Another two — The Oakland Coliseum and the Trop — will eventually if there’s any justice in the world. Crazy.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 10
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)