Nov 10, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Camden Yards — the flagship of the new era of ballparks — has been undergoing some minor renovations over the past couple of years. The team announced the latest round yesterday:
At the request of the Orioles, the club level and upper deck at Camden Yards will be furnished with wider seats that will be more comfortable for fans. In addition, sightlines for fans on both of those levels will be improved, as new, less intrusive railings will be installed, enhancing the view of those sitting in the first few rows of both levels, as well as fans sitting in and around upper deck equal access and companion seats.
The effect of this — other than just giving O’s fans more butt room — will be to cut seating capacity down by 2,319. Which isn’t a terribly big deal because the O’s rarely if ever draw sellout crowds anymore, and room for 45,971 is likely adequate.
Another effect: making me feel old. I still think of Camden Yards as “new.” In reality, there are only a handful of parks that are older. You got Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Anaheim, Oakland, Kauffman, Rogers Centre, U.S. Cellular, Tropicana Field and whatever the hell they’re calling the Marlins’ stadium this week. Really, that’s the list of venerable ballparks. One of them will fall off that list in a couple of years. Another two — The Oakland Coliseum and the Trop — will eventually if there’s any justice in the world. Crazy.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 14
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 4
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)