Derek Jeter denied a National League Gold Glove award

Nov 10, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT

gold glove

Derek Jeter won his fifth American League Gold Glove yesterday, but in a tremendous slight to the future Hall of Famer he’s been denied the National League version of the award.

Jeter not actually playing in the NL perhaps made it difficult to honor him, but then again Jeter not actually being a good defensive shortstop didn’t keep the AL from giving him the hardware.

Here are the NL winners:

C – Yadier Molina, Cardinals
1B – Albert Pujols, Cardinals
2B – Brandon Phillips, Reds
SS – Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
3B – Scott Rolen, Reds
OF – Shane Victorino, Phillies
OF – Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
OF – Michael Bourn, Astros
P – Bronson Arroyo, Reds

Nothing close to yesterday’s Jeter craziness and in fact I’d say the NL did a pretty solid job as a whole.

Ryan Zimmerman won the award at third base last season only to be displaced by Rolen this year. I tend to think Zimmerman is the best defensive third baseman in baseball right now, but Rolen held that title for a long time and he’s still very, very good. It’s his eighth career Gold Glove.

Phillips over Chase Utley at second base is questionable based on advanced defensive metrics, but Utley’s defensive reputation has never quite matched his numbers and Phillips is plenty good.

Jay Bruce, Jason Heyward, and Chris Young are among the outfield snubs and it’s interesting that Carlos Gonzalez gets his first Gold Glove despite the voters’ previous tendency to pick “outfielders” rather than a left fielder, a center fielder, and a right fielder.

Zimmerman, Adrian Gonzalez, Matt Kemp, Jimmy Rollins, and Adam Wainwright all won a Gold Glove in the NL last season and didn’t get one this year despite remaining the league, with Molina, Bourn, and Victorino the only back-to-back winners.

1. sdelmonte - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:15 PM

It’s high time that Jeter did the courageous thing and switch leagues so he can win that NL Gold Glove.

2. Utley's Hair - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM

The fact that Jeter was frozen out of this is proof positive that the process is rigged.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I’d say Chase had just enough errors this season to get knocked out. Phillips is damn good. No gripe here.

Umm, you forgot to mention That Victorino is Hawaiian Craig… Damn, it’s mandatory don’t you know?

• Utley's Hair - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:34 PM

There is plenty of Phightins red on there, though. Well, the Hawaiian and former Phils, anyway.

• fivetoolmike - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:41 PM

This post is an Aaron Gleeman production.

4. thinman61 - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Damn… and A-Rod didn’t win a GG in either league. Proof positive that he still isn’t a “real Yankee”.

5. bloodysock - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:43 PM

How could Jeter not have won? He had fewer errors in the National League than he did in the Ameican League!

• proudlycanadian - Nov 10, 2010 at 5:36 PM

I thought that playing in inter-league games would make him eligible for the NL gold glove award.

6. vivabaseball - Nov 10, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Aaron, I don’t know why you have a problem with Jeter. but childish rants two days in a row is a bit much even for you… Perhaps you can make the
    argument that Jeter isn’t the strongest defensive shortstop in the league but you’d be a fool to believe that he isn’t the most valuable… The “advanced defensive metrics” are crap… If you really believe that he is a defensive liability you have no business doing this job…

• pauleee - Nov 10, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Finally, a Jeter apologist. Must be lonely out there, huh? First off, this isn’t a Most Valuable award. And he isn’t even the most valuable player on the team.

• vivabaseball - Nov 11, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I didn’t make the point that he’s the most valuable player on the team. I made the point that he’s the most valuable shortstop in the league. And you’re wrong; especially in the American league the award *is* given to the most valuable player at that position… Or haven’t you noticed that they never give the award to a player who can’t hit?

• cktai - Nov 11, 2010 at 2:28 AM

Actually you could make an argument that he isn’t the most valuable using traditional statistics. As I mentioned before of all six shortstops with more then 1200 innings played, Jeter makes the fewest putouts and the fewest assists, a combined 57 less then second worst Izturiz, dispite playing 50 innings more. Jeter is involved in .420 outs per inning fielding, for Alexei Ramirez its .544 for Pennington its up to .548. That is an out every single game that Jeter doesn’t make.

• vivabaseball - Nov 11, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Fielding opportunities are more influenced by pitching style and fielding location set by scouting reports than player range. If your intent is to judge a player by only what he can control then you’re stuck with fielding percentage… I know, the problem with fielding percentage is that it doesn’t support your argument…

• cktai - Nov 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM

No if you intent to judge a player by only what he can control then you can make use of UZR, plus/minus or TotalZone. Unlike scouts, these metric actually judge every single ball that comes close to the fielder.

If you wish to argue that these statistics are crap however, then you have no right to complain about lack of opportunities. Fielding percentage is heavily influenced by judgement calls, and because of the small amount of errors, there is sample size problem.

• vivabaseball - Nov 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I’m not complaining about lack of opportunities I’m simply pointing out that measuring the value of a defender by the number of outs made per inning is arbitrary and therefore not valuable… The so called “advanced fielding metrics” are crap because they make assumptions about information they cannot reliably reproduce… The notion that a fielder in the heat of a play makes a judgement call based on whether or not he thinks he might make an error if he fields the ball is ridiculous. The number of errors made in a single season may be a small sample set but when you have 15 seasons of consistent results it’s no longer a small sample.

• Panda Claus - Nov 11, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Not to further hijack the NL kudos page, but if you replace the bat with a glove in this Jeter statue, the range would be comparable. Jeter’s a beloved figure in NY, we get that. But he’s no longer gold glove quality.

• vivabaseball - Nov 11, 2010 at 1:03 PM

…”But he’s no longer gold glove quality”…

Really? Then why does he keep winning them?

7. The Rabbit - Nov 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Aaron, do you moonlight as The Onion’s baseball correspondent? Your opening was hilarious and certainly fits Onion’s style.
    As someone who has too much free time and multiple computer screens (resembling a scene in “War Games”), I watch parts of most MLB games. I agree with you: The National League did a pretty good job.

I haven’t commented on Jeter anyplace, so you’re stuck with my opinion.
    I followed the Yankees closely because I “owned” Jeter, Posada, Cano, CC, and A-Rod on various fantasy teams. Although Jeter didn’t have a year like ’09, he wasn’t particularly an offensive liability as a shortstop. According to the talking heads, this was the “Year of Pitcher” and offensive stats were down significantly across the board. This was a bad year for shortstops in general. Jeter actually did fairly well compared to many. Note: I wouldn’t have kept Jeter in the leadoff spot, but nobody died and made me a ML manager.
    Jeter’s defense: I love Jeter but have to agree with the criticism. You don’t make errors if you can’t get to the ball and Jeter’s range is severely limited compared to a number of shortstops I observed. His defense is adequate, but not stellar as a GG somewhat implies.

All of this raises the most basic question: Do any of these awards actually mean anything?
    In reality, outside the narrow scope of baseball trivia, they certainly have no meaning.
    As you rightly pointed out either Zimmerman or Rolen could have won the 3rd base GG without controversy.
    I get e-mails from a number of ML teams (because I attend games throughout the country when possible) asking me to vote for players from everything to undeserved selection to the All Star team to humanitarian awards. I’m a baseball junkie and admit I don’t know the most “charitable” player in baseball. Yet, fans everywhere are voting.
    I’ve concluded that awards for excellence in baseball (and most of the rest of life’s endeavors) are by and large popularity contests, and in that context, I don’t take any of it seriously.

• vivabaseball - Nov 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM

The Gold Glove awards are voted on by managers and coaches. They vote only for players in their own league and may not vote for players on their own team… I suppose it’s possible that there’s a well orchestrated conspiracy to choose undeserving players, but isn’t it more likely that they just don’t agree with you?

• cktai - Nov 11, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Managers and coaches are not allowed to vote for their own team, however that is the only team they see more then 7-15 games per year. They don’t have time to watch every single game like them baseball geeks coming up with new fielding metrics.

8. cktai - Nov 11, 2010 at 2:38 AM

I’m beginning to feel for Chase. He tops UZR/150, RF/9, TZR and he got the Fielding Bible Award, yet still no love for Chase. I blame his hair. At least Phillips is a decent replacement.

9. sparkycon - Nov 13, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Gee Aaron, Derek Jeter sucks. Thanks for letting me know. For the record the two shortstops before Jeter were Wayne Tolleson and Alviro Espinoza. Jeter has played for 15 major league seasons. He has a career batting average of .314. He is a clutch playoff performer. He has won 5 gold gloves. I don’t give a crap if his spikes were nailed to the field, he only made 6 errors. Elvis Andrus made 16 i believe. What good does it do you to be able to get to the ball if you are going to throw it in the stands?

So all of a sudden, since Jeter is in a contract year, he sucks(according to you and other esteemed members of the media). Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I thought he was a great player.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3179)