Nov 10, 2010, 3:53 PM EDT
Derek Jeter won his fifth American League Gold Glove yesterday, but in a tremendous slight to the future Hall of Famer he’s been denied the National League version of the award.
Jeter not actually playing in the NL perhaps made it difficult to honor him, but then again Jeter not actually being a good defensive shortstop didn’t keep the AL from giving him the hardware.
Here are the NL winners:
C – Yadier Molina, Cardinals
1B – Albert Pujols, Cardinals
2B – Brandon Phillips, Reds
SS – Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies
3B – Scott Rolen, Reds
OF – Shane Victorino, Phillies
OF – Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
OF – Michael Bourn, Astros
P – Bronson Arroyo, Reds
Nothing close to yesterday’s Jeter craziness and in fact I’d say the NL did a pretty solid job as a whole.
Ryan Zimmerman won the award at third base last season only to be displaced by Rolen this year. I tend to think Zimmerman is the best defensive third baseman in baseball right now, but Rolen held that title for a long time and he’s still very, very good. It’s his eighth career Gold Glove.
Phillips over Chase Utley at second base is questionable based on advanced defensive metrics, but Utley’s defensive reputation has never quite matched his numbers and Phillips is plenty good.
Jay Bruce, Jason Heyward, and Chris Young are among the outfield snubs and it’s interesting that Carlos Gonzalez gets his first Gold Glove despite the voters’ previous tendency to pick “outfielders” rather than a left fielder, a center fielder, and a right fielder.
Zimmerman, Adrian Gonzalez, Matt Kemp, Jimmy Rollins, and Adam Wainwright all won a Gold Glove in the NL last season and didn’t get one this year despite remaining the league, with Molina, Bourn, and Victorino the only back-to-back winners.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)