Nov 10, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Edgar Renteria just doin’ what Edgar Renteria does:
World Series MVP Edgar Renteria has asked that a celebration in his honor be called off in his home country, with the money donated to Colombia flood victims . . . Renteria says there are “more important things back home” and it’s critical to tend to the needs of those left homeless by the recent flooding.
As I sit here today, I can’t think of a single bad thing I’ve ever seen written or heard said about Edgar Renteria the man. His teammates love him, by all accounts. Writers who research him learn almost uniformly good things. I mean, I’m sure he’s done something he’s not proud of in his life because the guy’s human, but I get the distinct feeling that Edgar Renteria on a bad day is better than most of us on our good ones.
And while we’re on the subject, this post-series story about Renteria by Amy K. Nelson of ESPN is worth a read if you missed it last week.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)