Nov 10, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Edgar Renteria just doin’ what Edgar Renteria does:
World Series MVP Edgar Renteria has asked that a celebration in his honor be called off in his home country, with the money donated to Colombia flood victims . . . Renteria says there are “more important things back home” and it’s critical to tend to the needs of those left homeless by the recent flooding.
As I sit here today, I can’t think of a single bad thing I’ve ever seen written or heard said about Edgar Renteria the man. His teammates love him, by all accounts. Writers who research him learn almost uniformly good things. I mean, I’m sure he’s done something he’s not proud of in his life because the guy’s human, but I get the distinct feeling that Edgar Renteria on a bad day is better than most of us on our good ones.
And while we’re on the subject, this post-series story about Renteria by Amy K. Nelson of ESPN is worth a read if you missed it last week.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)