Nov 10, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Edgar Renteria just doin’ what Edgar Renteria does:
World Series MVP Edgar Renteria has asked that a celebration in his honor be called off in his home country, with the money donated to Colombia flood victims . . . Renteria says there are “more important things back home” and it’s critical to tend to the needs of those left homeless by the recent flooding.
As I sit here today, I can’t think of a single bad thing I’ve ever seen written or heard said about Edgar Renteria the man. His teammates love him, by all accounts. Writers who research him learn almost uniformly good things. I mean, I’m sure he’s done something he’s not proud of in his life because the guy’s human, but I get the distinct feeling that Edgar Renteria on a bad day is better than most of us on our good ones.
And while we’re on the subject, this post-series story about Renteria by Amy K. Nelson of ESPN is worth a read if you missed it last week.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)