Nov 10, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
Edgar Renteria just doin’ what Edgar Renteria does:
World Series MVP Edgar Renteria has asked that a celebration in his honor be called off in his home country, with the money donated to Colombia flood victims . . . Renteria says there are “more important things back home” and it’s critical to tend to the needs of those left homeless by the recent flooding.
As I sit here today, I can’t think of a single bad thing I’ve ever seen written or heard said about Edgar Renteria the man. His teammates love him, by all accounts. Writers who research him learn almost uniformly good things. I mean, I’m sure he’s done something he’s not proud of in his life because the guy’s human, but I get the distinct feeling that Edgar Renteria on a bad day is better than most of us on our good ones.
And while we’re on the subject, this post-series story about Renteria by Amy K. Nelson of ESPN is worth a read if you missed it last week.
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 13
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 81
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (81)