Nov 10, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Normally bench coach news isn’t one of our focuses, but since Joe Maddon and Ron Roenicke both landed manager gigs after serving as Mike Scioscia’s right-hand man it seems worth noting that Rob Picciolo has been named the new Angels bench coach.
Picciolo has served as the Angels’ “roving infield instructor” for the past five years and before that was a coach in the Padres’ organization for 16 seasons, so he’s definitely long on experience.
Randy Youngman of the Orange County Register reports that Roenicke wanted Picciolo to come with him to Milwaukee, but it’s tough to blame him for wanting to see if he can make it three in a row for the Angels bench coach-to-manager progression.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (175)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)