Nov 10, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Normally bench coach news isn’t one of our focuses, but since Joe Maddon and Ron Roenicke both landed manager gigs after serving as Mike Scioscia’s right-hand man it seems worth noting that Rob Picciolo has been named the new Angels bench coach.
Picciolo has served as the Angels’ “roving infield instructor” for the past five years and before that was a coach in the Padres’ organization for 16 seasons, so he’s definitely long on experience.
Randy Youngman of the Orange County Register reports that Roenicke wanted Picciolo to come with him to Milwaukee, but it’s tough to blame him for wanting to see if he can make it three in a row for the Angels bench coach-to-manager progression.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)