Nov 10, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
Russell Martin is still recovering from August hip surgery, but today his agent told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times that the catcher will “absolutely” be healthy in time for spring training.
Matt Colleran told Hernandez that Martin should be cleared to resume running at full speed within the “next couple of weeks” and has been working with a personal trainer in Montreal.
Martin’s health is key because the Dodgers are no sure thing to tender him a contract following back-to-back disappointing seasons. Martin earned $5 million this season and would likely get a raise to at least $6 million via the arbitration process, which is a lot for a guy who hit just .249 with a .680 OPS during the past two seasons if his hip remains any kind of question mark.
Hernandez speculates that Martin could traded or non-tendered, but for now at least Colleran says the 28-year-old former All-Star “loves L.A.” and “that’s where he expects to be … unless he’s told differently.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)