The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The Milwaukee Brewers

Nov 10, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT

1982 Brewers

The Best: The 70s and the early 80s were a disaster for so many teams, but man, I really like the old Harvey’s Wallbangers look. Lose the pullovers if you must — that’s what they do for throwback day now — and I suppose the powder blue is negotiable, but the Brewers without pinstripes, yellow accents, and that mitt logo on the cap just aren’t the Brewers to me.

Worst:
I don’t like what they wear today. It looks like a uniform designed by a focus group. It’s stock baseball clothing: “Tasteful, Inoffensive Ballclub #2″ or something.  Milwaukee is a city with a colorful history and citizenry. Their uniforms should have a some pizazz. More to the point, at one time they sported a definitive look that was unmistakably their own and which no one had a problem with that I’m aware of, and they shouldn’t be rocking any other looks.  Oh, and since we’re going with the entire franchise’s history, can we stipulate that the Seattle Pilots looked terrible? To the extent we have any affection for those duds — including the scrambled eggs on the cap — it’s misleading nostalgia based on our love of “Ball Four,” not because they stood up on their own merits.

Assessment: I know some Brewers fans have a prickly relationship with the Yount-Molitor era uniforms, thinking that embracing them is to look backwards rather than forwards. But really, it’s just clothes. As long as they’re looking ahead on the important stuff — who to hire how to build their team — I think they can be excused for returning to their classic look. Not that they will. Just wishin’.

1. stchoo - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:18 PM

You are spot on about the 70s-80s Brewers uniforms being the best. The subliminal M and B in the mitt logo make it one of the best Logo’s ever.

2. stealofhome - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:28 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin, and the people I know who have an opinion on such things as baseball jerseys prefer the mitt logo. It’s the quintessential baseball logo.

3. skipperxc - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM

I’ve no particular preference over the classic 80s look vs today’s issue. I would however argue that the current uni is a MASSIVE upgrade over the previous monstrosity: http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/pics/39717_01_lg.jpg

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I really liked the Milwaukee Bears uni’s they wore this past season

That’s a sharp uniform…

5. Jack Marshall - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Best-Logo-Ever.

6. alexpoterack - Nov 10, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I think it’s worth noting that the Pilots’ uniform you linked to is what they wore in spring training; their regular season outfit was like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brandx.net/pilots/bra.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.myyesnetwork.com/go/thread/view/82290/20579230/This_Wk_in_Yankees_History_Aug_10-16%3Fpg%3D4&h=432&w=348&sz=31&tbnid=oV4dCxoZ6jxNcM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=102&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dseattle%2Bpilots%2Buniform&zoom=1&q=seattle+pilots+uniform&usg=__vsj-J47-o4q-HxlvQqFm_v87yO8=&sa=X&ei=wOvaTNSyFIP_8Ab0-5WGCg&ved=0CDgQ9QEwAg

Perhaps no less horrible, but certainly much more interesting.

• stealofhome - Nov 10, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Longest URL ever.

7. crankyfrankie - Nov 10, 2010 at 6:18 PM

The Bambi’s bombers/Harvey’s wallbangers era were the best in baseball and the new ones look like walmart..

8. mvd513 - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:19 AM

So, everyone except the Brew Crew should go with plain. That makes sense.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS