Nov 10, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
The Best: When I wrote this up a couple of years ago I was clearly suffering from some sort of stress-related malady, because I picked the 1960s vests as the best Pirate uniform. That’s not the worst thing ever because the Pirates did vests pretty well, all things considered, but I realize now that no vest should ever be picked as a team’s best look. So, with all apologies to Clemente, Mazeroski and the rest, I’m going to give the title of best ever Pirates uniform to the longer sleeved traditional look they adopted in 1948. Which, with the exception of a big ugly arm patch, is what they wear today. The Pirates look great, actually. At least when they’re standing still and not, you know, trying to play baseball.
Assessment: If we did this bracket-style, the 70s Pirates and 70s A’s would almost certainly meet up in the awfulness finals. Which, for Pittsburgh at least, is kind of a shame. Really, they’ve got well over a hundred years of downright sharp and respectable uniforms sullied by a few short years of dreck, clouding all of our memories. Alas.
- The Dodgers and Braves are deep into trade talks involving Juan Uribe and Alberto Callaspo 15
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 19
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 59
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)