The Mets want a manager in place by the end of the month

Nov 10, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT

Sandy Alderson

As we mentioned this morning, the Mets will be on to their second round of managerial interviews shortly. Yesterday, Sandy Alderson said that he wants this wrapped up by the end of the month at the latest:

“It would probably be helpful for us to have a manager by the end of the month,” the new Mets general manager said during a conference call yesterday. “Another sort of logical deadline is Thanksgiving. I’m not sure we’re going to make that.”
Dude was a Marine. I imagine he’s pretty good at keeping a schedule.
Anyway, this is also an opportunity to revisit some of my Wally Backman comments from this morning. They’re not exactly going over well in some quarters. I can see why.  Suggesting that the Mets are merely humoring the fan base in interviewing Backman a rather un-Occam’s Razor-like position to take, and I’ve always prided myself on adhering as close as I can to obvious explanations that explain all of the facts rather than coming up with conspiracy theories.  That doesn’t mean I’m backtracking from this morning’s comments — I just can’t shake the notion that Alderson’s consideration of Backman is strange given both men’s histories — but I’m prepared to admit that I may be completely out to lunch.  Doesn’t help that Heyman as exactly the same take I do, which is rarely a good sign.
Oh well, we’ll see what happens.  In the meantime, enjoy this insightful list of the candidates the Mets apparently aren’t considering for some reason, and which provide further evidence that the Mets just don’t get it as an organization.
  1. Utley's Hair - Nov 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM

What’s with such an arbitrary deadline? I mean, they’ve already been without a functional one for a long time.

2. BC - Nov 10, 2010 at 12:04 PM

I vote for William Devane as Mets manager.

• Utley's Hair - Nov 10, 2010 at 12:40 PM

What about Morris Buttermaker?

3. Charles Gates - Nov 10, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Is Girardi’s binder a FA?

4. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 10, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I say they hire Larry Rothschild, just so that my Cubs can have a new pitching coach :)

5. Jonny 5 - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:24 PM

They should beg Willie Randolph to come back. He did better for the mets than anyone ever gives him credit for.

6. Adam - Nov 10, 2010 at 1:31 PM

How about Jimmy Dugan? He did a bang up job with the women baseball players.

7. joeypasta - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Wow, Craig..what is your problem? Your posts are childish at best…
    Wally Backman is on the short list. Everyone knew he would be. The Wilpons love the guy and they made no bones about it. There are no other candidates that they have interviewed that make more sense. Backman is the right guy at the right time.
    The Mets don’t “get it” because they don’t agree with you?? Really??

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:50 PM

He’s saying that the Alderson front office may not prefer Backman because he’s not a predictable front-office-swearing manager. Backman doesn’t have the experience to show he can obey the front office without question, so Sandy may not risk hiring him. Watch your tongue, boy.

• joeypasta - Nov 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Watch my tongue? What did i say? Well anyway, let me think about it. How about … NO?
        And he wasn’t talking entirely about Alderson’s opinion.. he was going off about his opinions on Backman.. and nobody said you had to like my post.. boy.

• willmose - Nov 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM

The main reason NOT to hire Backman is because the Wilpons love him. They are so spot on about the rest of the organization, how could they not be right about the Backman? Wondering out loud what was the Wilpons’ percentage of the clubhouse gambling take? Got to pay off those Maddoff loses some way.

8. jfk69 - Nov 11, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Buttermaker is the only manager for that team. Hell I would pay to see the movie before I would pay to see the 2011 deadsies.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4232)