Nov 11, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Oakland hasn’t wasted any time making moves this offseason, bidding $17 million to win the exclusive negotiating rights to Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, trading Vin Mazzaro and Justin Marks to the Royals for David DeJesus, and now spending $800,000 to sign 16-year-old prospect Vicmal De La Cruz out of the Dominican Republic.
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that De La Cruz is a 5-foot-11, 170-pound, left-handed-hitting outfielder who “scouts said … had some of the best all-around tools of any prospect from this year’s international signing class.”
BA also has some footage of De La Cruz hitting.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)