Nov 11, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Oakland hasn’t wasted any time making moves this offseason, bidding $17 million to win the exclusive negotiating rights to Japanese pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma, trading Vin Mazzaro and Justin Marks to the Royals for David DeJesus, and now spending $800,000 to sign 16-year-old prospect Vicmal De La Cruz out of the Dominican Republic.
Ben Badler of Baseball America reports that De La Cruz is a 5-foot-11, 170-pound, left-handed-hitting outfielder who “scouts said … had some of the best all-around tools of any prospect from this year’s international signing class.”
BA also has some footage of De La Cruz hitting.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)