Nov 11, 2010, 6:51 PM EDT
Super-agent Scott Boras is making wild claims about one of his free agent clients. Crazy, right?
According to Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe, Boras told MLB Network Radio on Thursday afternoon that he has “never seen more interest in a player” than what he’s experiencing this fall with free agent third baseman Adrian Beltre.
There’s probably some truth to that. Beltre went on a tear in 2010, batting .321/.365/.553 with 28 home runs and 102 RBI for the Red Sox while playing his typical brand of stellar defense at the hot corner. Productive third basemen are hard to come by and Beltre should be able to pick from several different offers this winter.
The Red Sox are expected to attempt to re-sign him and the Angels have been linked loosely in the early stages of the hot stove season.
The Blue Jays, Tigers, Mariners and A’s are likely to at least stay tuned into negotiations.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)