Nov 11, 2010, 8:29 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are about to get… older.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Arizona is close to agreement on a one-year contract with infielder Geoff Blum.
The veteran Blum posted a poor .267/.321/.356 batting line, two home runs and 22 RBI in 202 at-bats for the Astros this year and they rewarded that effort by declining his $1.65 million mutual option at the end of the regular season.
He played first base, second base, third base and shortstop, but he lacks the range to truly be considered versatile.
The good news for D’Backs fans is that Blum will come cheap — cheaper than the $1.65 million that he would have made in Houston — and likely represents a slight offensive upgrade over the utility infielders that populated Arizona’s 25-man roster throughout 2010.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers expressed a desire earlier this month to bring in a few veteran bats. He moved quickly to satisfy that goal.
UPDATE: Gilbert now says that the deal is for two years and could be announced as soon as Friday. Without knowing the financial details, it’s safe to say that new D’Backs GM Kevin Towers is not off to a good start.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 49
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)