Nov 11, 2010, 8:29 PM EST
The Diamondbacks are about to get… older.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com, Arizona is close to agreement on a one-year contract with infielder Geoff Blum.
The veteran Blum posted a poor .267/.321/.356 batting line, two home runs and 22 RBI in 202 at-bats for the Astros this year and they rewarded that effort by declining his $1.65 million mutual option at the end of the regular season.
He played first base, second base, third base and shortstop, but he lacks the range to truly be considered versatile.
The good news for D’Backs fans is that Blum will come cheap — cheaper than the $1.65 million that he would have made in Houston — and likely represents a slight offensive upgrade over the utility infielders that populated Arizona’s 25-man roster throughout 2010.
Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers expressed a desire earlier this month to bring in a few veteran bats. He moved quickly to satisfy that goal.
UPDATE: Gilbert now says that the deal is for two years and could be announced as soon as Friday. Without knowing the financial details, it’s safe to say that new D’Backs GM Kevin Towers is not off to a good start.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (197)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)