Is Jose Reyes on the trading block?

Nov 11, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT

Atlanta Braves v New York Mets Getty Images

That’s the rumor from Matt Pignataro at 7 Train to Shea.  I don’t know Matt and I don’t know his source, but he’s saying that the Mets “have put word out to teams” that Reyes is available and that they’ll look to trade him during the Winter Meetings.

Plausible, as Reyes has real value. If I was going to rebuild the Mets that’s who I’d consider trading precisely because he could bring value on a thin market for middle infielders. Not that rebuilding is Sandy Alderson’s only option. It’s entirely possible that he could try to rearrange things and make one last run at a winner with a Wright-Reyes-Beltran-Santana core over the next couple of years.  But that would likely cost some money, and depending on how constrained the Wilpons are financially, it may not be possible.

Reyes is due $11 million in 2011, and will be a free agent after that. He hit .282/.321/.428 in 133 games last season, which is well off expectations.  His walks were way down. Still, he’s one of the better shortstops in the game.  And remember: his offseason and spring workout/prep schedule was basically destroyed by that thyroid condition, and it’s not unreasonable to assume that a lot of his struggles were a function of starting off all late and awkward like that.

If I was a contender and in need of a shortstop, I wouldn’t hesitate to kick the tires or express interest or whatever it is GMs do this time of year.

1. Adam - Nov 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Maybe you could be the mystery team.

2. Jonny 5 - Nov 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Wow, If you were going to hire a hardass drill seargent type of manager who is the first person you would NEED to trade? Maybe Wally is getting the job afterall??? hmmmm?

3. sdelmonte - Nov 11, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I don’t want to see him traded, since I think it would be hard to find a quality replacement. And since I think Reyes at his best (and healthiest) is the sort of sparkplug a team in a pitchers’ park needs.

But I can see the sense in dangling him, too. And I want to see what the new brain trust can do, as well.

4. jfk69 - Nov 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM

HE HASN’T PLAYED A FULL SEASON SINCE HE STARTED IN THE MAJORS. Every year its something else.
    If you can get a decent return for him ,,,,,,,,DO IT… They need a catcher,second baseman or a proven starter.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 11, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Games played by year:

’03 – 69
      ’04 – 53
      ’05 – 161
      ’06 – 153
      ’07 – 160
      ’08 – 159
      ’09 – 36
      ’10 – 133

Back away from the ledge there sparky. Everything will be ok.

5. BC - Nov 11, 2010 at 9:48 AM

God, yes I’d trade him. Santana and Wright are not being traded. Beltran is untradeable at this point (though if he has a healthy and productive first half and the Mets are predictably out of it, he could go at the deadling). Reyes is your only chip. He’s injury prone, a bit of a head case, and ladies and gentlemen he’s not 24 years old any more. If I can get a young top-flight pitching prospect who will be ready for the majors within a year, he’s gone. Immediately. Do it, Sandy, do it!

• Kevin S. - Nov 11, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I wouldn’t call Beltran untradeable at all – nobody with one year left on his deal can’t be moved. Further, Beltran does have real value still. Perhaps not as a centerfielder, but don’t you think an AL team might be interested in him as a RF/DH? Easier on his knees, and his bat still plays at those positions.

6. Charles Gates - Nov 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM

The internets is saying that the O’s might want to look to see what the asking price is…

7. schlom - Nov 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Maybe the Padres should try to acquire Reyes, they need a “Heath Bell Part II” trade to help them out next season.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4933)