Nov 11, 2010, 8:24 AM EST
That’s the rumor from Matt Pignataro at 7 Train to Shea. I don’t know Matt and I don’t know his source, but he’s saying that the Mets “have put word out to teams” that Reyes is available and that they’ll look to trade him during the Winter Meetings.
Plausible, as Reyes has real value. If I was going to rebuild the Mets that’s who I’d consider trading precisely because he could bring value on a thin market for middle infielders. Not that rebuilding is Sandy Alderson’s only option. It’s entirely possible that he could try to rearrange things and make one last run at a winner with a Wright-Reyes-Beltran-Santana core over the next couple of years. But that would likely cost some money, and depending on how constrained the Wilpons are financially, it may not be possible.
Reyes is due $11 million in 2011, and will be a free agent after that. He hit .282/.321/.428 in 133 games last season, which is well off expectations. His walks were way down. Still, he’s one of the better shortstops in the game. And remember: his offseason and spring workout/prep schedule was basically destroyed by that thyroid condition, and it’s not unreasonable to assume that a lot of his struggles were a function of starting off all late and awkward like that.
If I was a contender and in need of a shortstop, I wouldn’t hesitate to kick the tires or express interest or whatever it is GMs do this time of year.
- Report: D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 28
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 4
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 40
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)