Nov 11, 2010, 8:24 AM EDT
That’s the rumor from Matt Pignataro at 7 Train to Shea. I don’t know Matt and I don’t know his source, but he’s saying that the Mets “have put word out to teams” that Reyes is available and that they’ll look to trade him during the Winter Meetings.
Plausible, as Reyes has real value. If I was going to rebuild the Mets that’s who I’d consider trading precisely because he could bring value on a thin market for middle infielders. Not that rebuilding is Sandy Alderson’s only option. It’s entirely possible that he could try to rearrange things and make one last run at a winner with a Wright-Reyes-Beltran-Santana core over the next couple of years. But that would likely cost some money, and depending on how constrained the Wilpons are financially, it may not be possible.
Reyes is due $11 million in 2011, and will be a free agent after that. He hit .282/.321/.428 in 133 games last season, which is well off expectations. His walks were way down. Still, he’s one of the better shortstops in the game. And remember: his offseason and spring workout/prep schedule was basically destroyed by that thyroid condition, and it’s not unreasonable to assume that a lot of his struggles were a function of starting off all late and awkward like that.
If I was a contender and in need of a shortstop, I wouldn’t hesitate to kick the tires or express interest or whatever it is GMs do this time of year.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)