Nov 11, 2010, 9:58 AM EDT
I don’t think anyone was truly holding out hope that Jayson Werth would return to the Phillies, but if there was a shred of it, Jayson Stark shoots it down like Paul Newman shot diseased cattle in “Hud”:
Here’s one Phillies source on the odds of his team finding a way to keep Jayson Werth: “No chance. None. Zero.” In the end, it might not even be the annual dollars that will force the Phillies to move on. It’s their unwillingness to go beyond three or four years for a player who will turn 32 next May.
So that’s that. But fear not, Phillies fans, your team is on the hunt for a free agent:
The free agent the Phillies have been most aggressive about trying to re-sign isn’t Werth. It’s right-hander Jose Contreras, who struck out 57 in 56 2/3 innings in his first full season in the bullpen. Amaro wouldn’t confirm that, but did say: “We’ve made contact with 40 free agents, predominantly bullpen guys.” He also said: “Left-handed relief is a priority for us.”
Every Philly fan I know is concerned about the outfield and/or a right-handed bat. But hey, that left handed middle relief may look good soon!
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)