Nov 11, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Chris Coghlan has played left field in all but one of his 219 career games, but according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com “the Marlins plan on converting Coghlan from left field to third base” in 2011.
It presumably won’t take much to convert him, because Coghlan was actually a full-time infielder in the minors before switching to left field when he joined the Marlins in 2009. In fact, he’d never started a professional game in the outfield prior to doing so for the Marlins.
Coghlan was primarily a second baseman in the minors, but also saw action at third base 42 times in parts of four minor-league seasons. By moving him to the infield the Marlins clear room for Logan Morrison, Cameron Maybin, and Mike Stanton to patrol the outfield full time.
Before he can change positions again Coghlan has to get healthy first, as he missed the final six weeks of the season following knee surgery. Frisaro reports that Coghlan has only been cleared to do light jogging at this point, but seems confident that he’ll be ready for spring training despite his recovery time being “longer than initially expected because of the severity of the tear.”
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)