Nov 11, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
Chris Coghlan has played left field in all but one of his 219 career games, but according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com “the Marlins plan on converting Coghlan from left field to third base” in 2011.
It presumably won’t take much to convert him, because Coghlan was actually a full-time infielder in the minors before switching to left field when he joined the Marlins in 2009. In fact, he’d never started a professional game in the outfield prior to doing so for the Marlins.
Coghlan was primarily a second baseman in the minors, but also saw action at third base 42 times in parts of four minor-league seasons. By moving him to the infield the Marlins clear room for Logan Morrison, Cameron Maybin, and Mike Stanton to patrol the outfield full time.
Before he can change positions again Coghlan has to get healthy first, as he missed the final six weeks of the season following knee surgery. Frisaro reports that Coghlan has only been cleared to do light jogging at this point, but seems confident that he’ll be ready for spring training despite his recovery time being “longer than initially expected because of the severity of the tear.”
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)