Nov 11, 2010, 4:16 PM EST
Chris Coghlan has played left field in all but one of his 219 career games, but according to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com “the Marlins plan on converting Coghlan from left field to third base” in 2011.
It presumably won’t take much to convert him, because Coghlan was actually a full-time infielder in the minors before switching to left field when he joined the Marlins in 2009. In fact, he’d never started a professional game in the outfield prior to doing so for the Marlins.
Coghlan was primarily a second baseman in the minors, but also saw action at third base 42 times in parts of four minor-league seasons. By moving him to the infield the Marlins clear room for Logan Morrison, Cameron Maybin, and Mike Stanton to patrol the outfield full time.
Before he can change positions again Coghlan has to get healthy first, as he missed the final six weeks of the season following knee surgery. Frisaro reports that Coghlan has only been cleared to do light jogging at this point, but seems confident that he’ll be ready for spring training despite his recovery time being “longer than initially expected because of the severity of the tear.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)