Nov 11, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com has an interesting article about longtime big leaguer Royce Clayton, who after retiring in 2008 auditioned for a part in the upcoming “Moneyball” movie and was cast as Miguel Tejada. Seriously.
Clayton didn’t speak Spanish, but tried to learn enough to sound authentic for his scenes with Brad Pitt. And then when it came time to actually start filming director Bennett Miller told him to drop the accent and just speak naturally.
Clayton told Crasnick that he enjoyed the movie-making experience, but said it’s not quite as glamorous as you might think:
In my sport, you make a good play and see thousands of people go crazy. For actors, there’s very little fanfare when you’re shooting a movie. It’s tedious work. You sit around for long hours, and if you’re a main guy, you know the results of that movie pretty much hinge on your performance. It’s definitely not all glamour and glitz like people think it is. We’d have a 6 p.m. call time, and three days later you’d get a 6 a.m call time and totally switch your clock. It’s tough. I definitely have an appreciation now for what these guys do–their talent and their craft.
Also of note: Crasnick reports that Paul DePodesta “asked to have his name removed from the film,” so instead the “Moneyball” movie will have a character named “Peter Brand” as Billy Beane’s right-hand man. Perhaps he, like everyone else, thought it was absurd that Jonah Hill had been cast to portray him despite what is probably a 100-pound difference.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)