Nov 11, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Best: Minor variations aside, the Diamondbacks have only really had two uniforms. The current one and the old one. The current one is not what I’d consider the Platonic ideal of baseball style, but as you’ll see in a second, I believe it to be the superior look.
Worst: Incorporating teal, purple, black, pinstripes and vests, the original Diamondbacks’ outfits were the perfect storm of marketing douchebaggery. I said something about the Pirates and A’s yesterday, but what the Dbacks wore between 1998 and 2006 are almost certainly the worst thing every worn by a Major League team. Horrifyingly bad with no redeeming factors whatsoever, save maybe the fact that, once every five days, you got to see Randy Johnson in his prime pitching in them. Otherwise I almost want to vomit they’re so terrible.
Assessment: The Diamondbacks should hire all of the hard-copy photo doctoring experts who managed to survive the Stalin regime and get them to subtly alter all pictures of the 2001 championship season so that no historical evidence exists of that awful, awful look. Once that’s done, maybe they can improve upon what they’re currently wearing. I like the little rattlesnake D and the color scheme, but perhaps they can unblock and unbunch the letters a bit.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)