The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The San Francisco Giants

Nov 11, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

Mathhewson

Day three of our sartorial survey takes us to the National League West where we start off with the World Freakin’ Champs.

The Best: In recent years the Giants have kept a classic look. Not always so in the old days.  You know what’s gangsta? Writing “World’s Champions” on your uniforms, that’s what’s gangsta.  If the Giants did that for 2011 I would consider dropping the Braves as my favorite team on the basis of pure awesomeness. They had a lot of different looks in the early day, sometimes with pinstripes, sometimes with red. They first went to the now-classic black and orange in 1933. That didn’t stick immediately — there was more blue and red in their future — but they eventually realized that it was a good look and settled on it for good in 1947.  For the best you can pick basically any year between then and 1976, and from 1994 until the present day.  I’ll go with this as the best anyone has ever looked in a Giants uniform, but really, you can’t go wrong. I dunno, maybe it looked better on Willie McCovey. Longer lines and all of that.

The WorstThey’ve gone to plaid!  And check out the Yankee-envy they were rocking in 1924. Must have worked because the Giants won the pennant that year while the Yankees stayed home, though I wouldn’t call that a great look for what we now know as the Giants.  The late 70s stuff was unfortunate, with the script, black and orange just killing a team that looks best in a timeless ensemble. And that mid-80s-to-1993 look, complete with the bolder, blockier “Giants” on the home jerseys and the interlocking “SF” on the roadies puts me in mind of a 1990s NBA team, and no one in sports looked worse than poorly-dressed 1990s NBA teams.  None of those are the worst though.  These are.  Please banish them now. You looked ridiculous in them, and I don’t care if you think they helped you win it all or not. Go get those plaid jerseys back.

Assessment: I love the cream colored homies. I love the simple lettering.  Orange and black — when used as accent colors only, not the main color — are really nice.  Just a great look overall. Among the best in baseball.  Keep it simple. That is, unless you want to go with “World’s Champions” next season. In which case I’d buy two.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Nov 11, 2010 at 12:41 PM

SF has the best uniforms in baseball.

2. kingkaufman - Nov 11, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Agree with almost everything, but I have never liked the cream-colored home unis. White home uniforms just look so crisp and sharp, especially in the daytime. I think they were going for a vintage flannel look, but vintage flannel only got cream colored when it faded with age, right? It started out white. Compared to how sharp other classic-styled teams look at home — Tigers, Cardinals, Dodgers, etc. — I think the off-white is a dreary mistake.

3. merkleboner - Nov 11, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Orange Fridays ain’t goin NOWHERE BAYBEEE

4. simon94022 - Nov 11, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Agree with Craig on all points.

But note that wearing pinstripes in 1924 wasn’t “Yankee envy.”. Lots of teams wore pinstripes in the World War I era and 1920s, and the Yankees were neither the first nor most famous. Besides the Giants were still the dominant team in NY at that time.

5. mvd513 - Nov 12, 2010 at 5:09 AM

Let’s go Orange! More colors! No white or off white. Home black with orange. Road Orange with black.

6. dailey247 - Nov 12, 2010 at 10:11 AM

Agree completely, ESPECIALLY about the World’s Champions. Join the movement to bring those back in 2011 here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=109584215775133

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3685)