Nov 11, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Mark Bowman at MLB.com has his latest ramblings up about the Braves. It’s mostly about their potential offseason moves. Stop me if you’ve heard this before:
- They need an outfielder, but don’t want to spend any money;
- They could trade for one, but they need to find someone willing to take on Kenshin Kawakami or Derek Lowe’s contract; and
- They’re likely going to end up with some toolsy outfielder “with warts.”
Even less than inspiring is when Bowman says that the Braves would certainly consider a trade for Colby Rasmus, but really would prefer a right-handed bat. I sure hope that’s not the team’s actual thinking. Because while, sure, it’d be nice to have some lefty-righty action in the lineup, doesn’t there come a point where a platoon advantage is far outweighed by the overall quality of the wrong-handed batter? I mean, Jeff Francoeur is a righty, but I somehow don’t see him as preferable to Rasmus. Not that the Cardinals are gonna trade Rasmus anyway. Because they are not insane. I’m just grumpy.
Oh well. The whole column is worth reading anyway, if for no other reason than for this passage:
There has sense been some reason to believe that Kawakami would rather continue pitching in the United States. The Yomuri Giants were believed to be one of the clubs interested in the 34-year-old right-hander. Kawakami has said that he doesn’t like pitching in the Tokyo Dome, which serves as the Giants home. My only response to that is, “Would he rather pitch in Gwinnett County’s Coolray Field?
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?