Nov 11, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Wow, ever write a blog post and realize that you didn’t need much more than the headline. Yep, that pretty much says it all: Juan Samuel will be the third base coach, Sam Perlozzo moves to first.
This pretty much negates everything I said about Samuel’s stolen base proficiency the other day, because it’s not too often that he’ll be talking a guy at third into snagging home. More importantly, however, it may lessen the ire of a lot of Phillies fans who had grown unhappy with Perlozzo’s work sending and stopping runners.
It seems like every team’s fan base has some issue with their third base coach, and I don’t know that we’ve yet come up with a good way to determine, objectively, how good a job a third base coach really does (we do believe that they should send more runners). However, Philly fans have complained about Perlozzo pretty steadily. And that wonderful play in the NLCS in which Roy Oswalt ran right through Perlozzo’s stop sign to score was one of the more notable rebuke’s of a base coach’s authority in recent history. The pitcher, dude. Even he trust you.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)