Nov 11, 2010, 9:54 PM EDT
Dan Uggla rejected a four-year, $48 million contract extension proposal from the Marlins last week. But he’s not done negotiating.
According to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, the arbitration-eligible second baseman told reporters Thursday that believes a long-term deal is “reachable” and that the two sides “can close the gap” before salary arbitration proceedings get underway.
Uggla has slugged at least 30 home runs in each of the last four seasons and finished with a quality .287/.369/.508 batting line and a team-leading 105 RBI in 159 games for the Marlins this past year.
He has poor range at second base, but the Fish are aiming to be immediately competitive when they move into their new baseball-only stadium in 2012 and losing the power-hitting Uggla would mean a major blow to that plan.
If it takes a six-year contract worth closer to $60 million, the Marlins should open their purse strings.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)