Nov 12, 2010, 8:11 PM EDT
The Athletics have been mighty busy so far this offseason, but general manager Billy Beane is still on a mission to find a power bat for a team that finished second from the bottom in the league in home runs and slugging percentage this past season. With that in mind, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com hears that the A’s have interest in free agent Lance Berkman as a potential designated hitter.
Berkman, who turns 35 in February, batted .248/.368/.413 with 14 homers and 58 RBI in 404 at-bats between the Astros and Yankees this past season. He has traditionally been better against right-handed pitching in the past, but the disparity was never more apparent than in 2010, as he batted just .171 with one home run and a 517 OPS against left-handed pitching.
There’s countless examples of players like Berkman, who have “old man skills” and fade into their late-30s. The game isn’t especially kind to such players right now. As a result, he’s probably going to have accept a one-year deal with a low guarantee this winter. Fortunately for teams like the A’s, this makes him a potential bargain should he bounce back.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)