Nov 12, 2010, 8:11 PM EST
The Athletics have been mighty busy so far this offseason, but general manager Billy Beane is still on a mission to find a power bat for a team that finished second from the bottom in the league in home runs and slugging percentage this past season. With that in mind, Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com hears that the A’s have interest in free agent Lance Berkman as a potential designated hitter.
Berkman, who turns 35 in February, batted .248/.368/.413 with 14 homers and 58 RBI in 404 at-bats between the Astros and Yankees this past season. He has traditionally been better against right-handed pitching in the past, but the disparity was never more apparent than in 2010, as he batted just .171 with one home run and a 517 OPS against left-handed pitching.
There’s countless examples of players like Berkman, who have “old man skills” and fade into their late-30s. The game isn’t especially kind to such players right now. As a result, he’s probably going to have accept a one-year deal with a low guarantee this winter. Fortunately for teams like the A’s, this makes him a potential bargain should he bounce back.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)