Nov 12, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
General manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers are “making progress” toward re-signing veteran infielder Craig Counsell to a new contract.
Counsell is a Wisconsin native and has signed or re-signed with the Brewers as a free agent on three different occasions, so it sounds like the 40-year-old sticking around is basically just a formality at this point.
While never much more than a solid utility infielder Counsell has remarkably remained as productive at 40 as he was at 30, hitting .250/.322/.319 in 230 plate appearances and a total of 35 starts this season.
- No-hitter watch: Aaron Harang has no-hit the Mets through seven innings 0
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Yasiel Puig does all of the Yasiel Puig things in the same inning 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)