Nov 12, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
General manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers are “making progress” toward re-signing veteran infielder Craig Counsell to a new contract.
Counsell is a Wisconsin native and has signed or re-signed with the Brewers as a free agent on three different occasions, so it sounds like the 40-year-old sticking around is basically just a formality at this point.
While never much more than a solid utility infielder Counsell has remarkably remained as productive at 40 as he was at 30, hitting .250/.322/.319 in 230 plate appearances and a total of 35 starts this season.
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million