Nov 12, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
General manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the Brewers are “making progress” toward re-signing veteran infielder Craig Counsell to a new contract.
Counsell is a Wisconsin native and has signed or re-signed with the Brewers as a free agent on three different occasions, so it sounds like the 40-year-old sticking around is basically just a formality at this point.
While never much more than a solid utility infielder Counsell has remarkably remained as productive at 40 as he was at 30, hitting .250/.322/.319 in 230 plate appearances and a total of 35 starts this season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (76)