Nov 12, 2010, 8:57 AM EDT
Here’s Brian Cashman, talking about the Yankees’ need for Cliff Lee:
“I don’t feel like we are in a desperate situation here. I think we have a lot of quality players on this team that won 95 games and fell two games short of a World Series.”
To the extent that you’re never “desperate” when you’re the New York Yankees and that one player does not make all the difference in the world, yes, he’s right.
To the extent that anyone takes this comment to mean that Cashman’s number one priority this offseason isn’t to get Cliff Lee signed, they’re crazy. Improving the pitching staff without signing Lee is just way, way more difficult otherwise, and I’m sure Cashman would enjoy the holidays approximately 349% more if Lee is signed.
That quote aside, it’s a good article about Cashman and Lee, with Cashman talking a bit about his visit with the Lees in Litte Rock on Wednesday. Guess what? According to Cashman, Kristen Lee loves New York.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)