Nov 12, 2010, 8:57 AM EDT
Here’s Brian Cashman, talking about the Yankees’ need for Cliff Lee:
“I don’t feel like we are in a desperate situation here. I think we have a lot of quality players on this team that won 95 games and fell two games short of a World Series.”
To the extent that you’re never “desperate” when you’re the New York Yankees and that one player does not make all the difference in the world, yes, he’s right.
To the extent that anyone takes this comment to mean that Cashman’s number one priority this offseason isn’t to get Cliff Lee signed, they’re crazy. Improving the pitching staff without signing Lee is just way, way more difficult otherwise, and I’m sure Cashman would enjoy the holidays approximately 349% more if Lee is signed.
That quote aside, it’s a good article about Cashman and Lee, with Cashman talking a bit about his visit with the Lees in Litte Rock on Wednesday. Guess what? According to Cashman, Kristen Lee loves New York.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead