Deep thoughts: should your team’s conditioning coach eat well?

Nov 12, 2010, 4:07 PM EDT

Double Double

UPDATE: My bad. The quote about In-N-Out came from Spencer Dallin, the team’s Assistant  to the equipment manager. The strength coach is  Jim Malone, mentioned earlier in the article.  Apologies. Both for misreading the story, and for rendering moot a perfectly good Pablo Sandoval joke.

Story on MLB.com about how a couple of Padres’ employees were on that Carnival Cruise ship that got stranded off the coast of Mexico earlier this week.  One of them was the team’s strength and conditioning coach, who said he held up fine under the ordeal. Then he got back to shore:

Dallin’s first stop once he arrived in San Diego on Thursday was to In-N-Out Burger, where hot-dog sandwiches aren’t on the menu. “I had two double-doubles [hamburgers], fries and a milkshake,” he said. “I wasn’t able to finish the second double-double. My stomach wasn’t ready for that yet.”

In other news, Pablo Sandoval has demanded that he be traded to the Padres immediately.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Yes, but dude gets an “eat whatever in the hell you want pass” for an entire month.

2. Utley's Hair - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM

What? No “animal style”?

3. sportsdrenched - Nov 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Having turned my life around, and dropped 70 lbs. Stuff like this piques my interest.

I agree with Johnny 5, that guy gets to eat whatever he wants for a month.

Should a S&T Coach eat eell and set an Example. Hell Yes. 80% of being fit is nutrition anyway. Professional Athlete’s when they’re not playing games sole purpose is to get ready for games. I don’t understand fat professional athletes (or trainers). You have all the resources and time to be in shape. Why aren’t you if that’s your profession?

4. Lincoln93 - Nov 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM

That Pablo crack was pretty awesome.

5. frankvzappa - Nov 13, 2010 at 3:39 AM

say what you want about the greasiness of it, at least there are no preservatives in the buns and everything is fresh, which is a lot more than you can say about 99% of the foodlike substances that make up the American diet

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto