Nov 12, 2010, 10:46 PM EDT
Well, lookie here: Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that the Phillies are making a “big push” to keep free agent outfielder Jayson Werth.
No, Werth isn’t going to sign tomorrow or anything, but Heyman also refers to Ruben Amaro’s comments from earlier this afternoon, when the Phils’ GM indicated that he would like to know relatively soon whether they have a realistic shot at re-signing the outfielder. But do those comments mean that the Phillies are making a “big push” to keep him? I must have missed that.
I realize that Amaro has other priorities, mainly adding a couple pieces to his bullpen and possibly finding a right-handed hitting outfielder, but would it really hurt to hang around in the background just in case Werth can’t get his “Matt Holliday money” this winter? Honestly, I don’t see why the Phillies have to go after a right-handed platoon partner for rookie Domonic Brown or Raul Ibanez when they already have a pretty competent (and cheap) one in Ben Francisco. They can afford to wait there.
Just in case you forgot that Werth’s agent is Scott Boras, Heyman reminds us that a quick deal is “not likely.” You think? Why do I have the funny feeling that we’ll still be talking about this guy until early January?
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)