Nov 12, 2010, 10:46 PM EST
Well, lookie here: Jon Heyman of SI.com hears that the Phillies are making a “big push” to keep free agent outfielder Jayson Werth.
No, Werth isn’t going to sign tomorrow or anything, but Heyman also refers to Ruben Amaro’s comments from earlier this afternoon, when the Phils’ GM indicated that he would like to know relatively soon whether they have a realistic shot at re-signing the outfielder. But do those comments mean that the Phillies are making a “big push” to keep him? I must have missed that.
I realize that Amaro has other priorities, mainly adding a couple pieces to his bullpen and possibly finding a right-handed hitting outfielder, but would it really hurt to hang around in the background just in case Werth can’t get his “Matt Holliday money” this winter? Honestly, I don’t see why the Phillies have to go after a right-handed platoon partner for rookie Domonic Brown or Raul Ibanez when they already have a pretty competent (and cheap) one in Ben Francisco. They can afford to wait there.
Just in case you forgot that Werth’s agent is Scott Boras, Heyman reminds us that a quick deal is “not likely.” You think? Why do I have the funny feeling that we’ll still be talking about this guy until early January?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)