Nov 12, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
In addition to teams calling the Royals about Zack Greinke’s availability Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Alex Gordon is generating some interest in as well. However, according to Dutton the Royals aren’t “willing to dump him for little in return.”
Gordon is a former college player of the year and No. 2 overall pick, but he’s 27 years old and has mostly been a bust. Beyond that the Royals demoted him to the minors this season and only recalled him after he absolutely destroyed Triple-A pitching for two months, making it seem like he was no longer in their plans.
However, general manager Dayton Moore indicated late in the season that they were still likely to hold onto Gordon for at least one more year. And that makes sense, because the Royals aren’t going to get anything significant in return for him at this point anyway and with another rebuilding year on the horizon are certainly in a position to let him sink or swim in 2011.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)