Nov 12, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
In addition to teams calling the Royals about Zack Greinke’s availability Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that Alex Gordon is generating some interest in as well. However, according to Dutton the Royals aren’t “willing to dump him for little in return.”
Gordon is a former college player of the year and No. 2 overall pick, but he’s 27 years old and has mostly been a bust. Beyond that the Royals demoted him to the minors this season and only recalled him after he absolutely destroyed Triple-A pitching for two months, making it seem like he was no longer in their plans.
However, general manager Dayton Moore indicated late in the season that they were still likely to hold onto Gordon for at least one more year. And that makes sense, because the Royals aren’t going to get anything significant in return for him at this point anyway and with another rebuilding year on the horizon are certainly in a position to let him sink or swim in 2011.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)