The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The Toronto Blue Jays

Nov 12, 2010, 2:00 PM EDT

Halladay Jays

The Best: The Blue Jays came out of the gate in 1977 with a bird’s head smack dab in the center of the jersey. And you know what? I liked it!  No, it wasn’t totally sharp in an absolute sense, but it’s certainly better than anything they’ve worn since.  It has character, and it’s pretty unmistakable. And I liked their old powder blues too. The newer teams that came up in the age of powder blues tend to look pretty good in them. Yes, I know they’ve brought them back as an alternate, but they should be a road jersey. The gray roadies still look wrong to me, even after all these years.

The Worst:  I hated the caps with the big maple leaf they wore in the Roger Clemens era, but I really hate the “Jays” lettering on the current duds, especially the black alternates.  Like so many teams searching for a sartorial identity, the Blue Jays have settled on something that is simply generic.  If you were making a movie about baseball and couldn’t get the rights to use real major league teams, you’d come up with something that looks a lot like what they wear these days.

Assessment: If they’re not going to embrace the big Jay head in the middle of a pullover shirt, they should at least try to do something memorable and maybe even a little audacious.  What they have right now is so blah.

1. Professor Longnose - Nov 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM

They should add tail feathers.

2. tomemos - Nov 12, 2010 at 2:25 PM

The idea, apparent in the new uniforms, that the bird head has to be mad is really dumb. It’s a blue jay, guys, you’re not going to make it look threatening so don’t try.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Roy looks so much better in red…..

• proudlycanadian - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:07 PM

BS Johnny.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The Red just compliments him so well…

PC, I have to hand it to you. You handled Roy being traded rather well. If I were in your shoes, i might have to cry over it, and maybe you did? But posting here you seemed ok with it. Kudos to you and your funny accent and earflappy hats, and Molson and stuff. You da man. ;)

• proudlycanadian - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Apologies to you Jonny for the Typo. Twice today I have spelt names incorrectly. We all knew that Halladay had to be traded. Short term pain for long term gain etc. You guessed wrong about the hat. I rarely wear one.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Well guess what? It gets cold here too. I wear one. It’s rabbit hide with the fur on the inside. I can only wear it when it’s below freezing or else my head will fry.

4. mattraw - Nov 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM

The current JAYS lettering on the unis is bad enough, but the oversized combination-bird-head-letter-J atrocity on the cap might get my vote for worst team logo ever. That, or that stupid flying A the Angels used in the Erstad era.

5. royhobbs39 - Nov 12, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Nice roided up picture of Clemens. Or was that just some potent maple syrup, eh?

6. mvd513 - Nov 14, 2010 at 3:46 AM

Black Jays is great.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4167)