Nov 12, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Red Sox’ GM Theo Epstein held a conference call with the Sox beat writers this afternoon. The most notable nugget, according to Pete Abraham: Theo said “in strong terms” that the Red Sox want Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez back and that he’s pursuing them. Specifically, he said that Martinez “would certainly be our first choice to be our 2011 catcher and beyond.” He also said that “Our first choice for our third baseman in 2011 and beyond would be to bring back Adrian Beltre.” Thouh he did add that, no, he wouldn’t have any problem moving Youkilis to third if Beltre were gone.
Money aside, those two make the most sense for Boston, as it would be much, much harder to make up for their offense — and in Beltre’s case, defense — via other means. I mean, sure, you could try to trade for one of the big first basemen who may be available and put Youk on third, but then you’re giving up talent elsewhere and you still need a catcher.
Read the whole story — complete with the latest on Pedroia and Ellsbury’s health status — here.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)