Nov 12, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Red Sox’ GM Theo Epstein held a conference call with the Sox beat writers this afternoon. The most notable nugget, according to Pete Abraham: Theo said “in strong terms” that the Red Sox want Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez back and that he’s pursuing them. Specifically, he said that Martinez “would certainly be our first choice to be our 2011 catcher and beyond.” He also said that “Our first choice for our third baseman in 2011 and beyond would be to bring back Adrian Beltre.” Thouh he did add that, no, he wouldn’t have any problem moving Youkilis to third if Beltre were gone.
Money aside, those two make the most sense for Boston, as it would be much, much harder to make up for their offense — and in Beltre’s case, defense — via other means. I mean, sure, you could try to trade for one of the big first basemen who may be available and put Youk on third, but then you’re giving up talent elsewhere and you still need a catcher.
Read the whole story — complete with the latest on Pedroia and Ellsbury’s health status — here.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (198)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)