Nov 12, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Red Sox’ GM Theo Epstein held a conference call with the Sox beat writers this afternoon. The most notable nugget, according to Pete Abraham: Theo said “in strong terms” that the Red Sox want Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez back and that he’s pursuing them. Specifically, he said that Martinez “would certainly be our first choice to be our 2011 catcher and beyond.” He also said that “Our first choice for our third baseman in 2011 and beyond would be to bring back Adrian Beltre.” Thouh he did add that, no, he wouldn’t have any problem moving Youkilis to third if Beltre were gone.
Money aside, those two make the most sense for Boston, as it would be much, much harder to make up for their offense — and in Beltre’s case, defense — via other means. I mean, sure, you could try to trade for one of the big first basemen who may be available and put Youk on third, but then you’re giving up talent elsewhere and you still need a catcher.
Read the whole story — complete with the latest on Pedroia and Ellsbury’s health status — here.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)