Nov 12, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
Red Sox’ GM Theo Epstein held a conference call with the Sox beat writers this afternoon. The most notable nugget, according to Pete Abraham: Theo said “in strong terms” that the Red Sox want Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez back and that he’s pursuing them. Specifically, he said that Martinez “would certainly be our first choice to be our 2011 catcher and beyond.” He also said that “Our first choice for our third baseman in 2011 and beyond would be to bring back Adrian Beltre.” Thouh he did add that, no, he wouldn’t have any problem moving Youkilis to third if Beltre were gone.
Money aside, those two make the most sense for Boston, as it would be much, much harder to make up for their offense — and in Beltre’s case, defense — via other means. I mean, sure, you could try to trade for one of the big first basemen who may be available and put Youk on third, but then you’re giving up talent elsewhere and you still need a catcher.
Read the whole story — complete with the latest on Pedroia and Ellsbury’s health status — here.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)