Nov 12, 2010, 10:31 AM EDT
Paul Hoynes offers a couple of tidbits in his latest article about the Indians. first:
. . . the $2.53 million the Indians spent on big-league free agents last winter — $850,000 for Mike Redmond and $1.5 million for Russell Branyan — may look like a lavish spending spree compared to this winter.
Here’s what the Indians need: a third baseman, a starting pitcher, a right-handed hitting outfielder as a change of pace to projected left-handed starters Michael Brantley, Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore, a right-handed set-up man to provide another eighth-inning option to lefties Rafael Perez and Tony Sipp and an experienced infielder to fortify the middle of the diamond.
Antonetti has talked to the agents for Jake Westbrook, the veteran starter the Indians traded to St. Louis in July.
No money + multiple needs does not = Jake Westbrook, who may be one of the more sought-after pitchers on the free agency market.
But at least Antonetti is keeping in touch with old friends.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)