Nov 12, 2010, 10:31 AM EST
Paul Hoynes offers a couple of tidbits in his latest article about the Indians. first:
. . . the $2.53 million the Indians spent on big-league free agents last winter — $850,000 for Mike Redmond and $1.5 million for Russell Branyan — may look like a lavish spending spree compared to this winter.
Here’s what the Indians need: a third baseman, a starting pitcher, a right-handed hitting outfielder as a change of pace to projected left-handed starters Michael Brantley, Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore, a right-handed set-up man to provide another eighth-inning option to lefties Rafael Perez and Tony Sipp and an experienced infielder to fortify the middle of the diamond.
Antonetti has talked to the agents for Jake Westbrook, the veteran starter the Indians traded to St. Louis in July.
No money + multiple needs does not = Jake Westbrook, who may be one of the more sought-after pitchers on the free agency market.
But at least Antonetti is keeping in touch with old friends.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)