Nov 12, 2010, 10:31 AM EST
Paul Hoynes offers a couple of tidbits in his latest article about the Indians. first:
. . . the $2.53 million the Indians spent on big-league free agents last winter — $850,000 for Mike Redmond and $1.5 million for Russell Branyan — may look like a lavish spending spree compared to this winter.
Here’s what the Indians need: a third baseman, a starting pitcher, a right-handed hitting outfielder as a change of pace to projected left-handed starters Michael Brantley, Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore, a right-handed set-up man to provide another eighth-inning option to lefties Rafael Perez and Tony Sipp and an experienced infielder to fortify the middle of the diamond.
Antonetti has talked to the agents for Jake Westbrook, the veteran starter the Indians traded to St. Louis in July.
No money + multiple needs does not = Jake Westbrook, who may be one of the more sought-after pitchers on the free agency market.
But at least Antonetti is keeping in touch with old friends.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)