Nov 13, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, the ball Babe Ruth hit for his 702nd career home run went for $264,500 earlier today at the Louisville Slugger Museum’s seventh annual live auction.
Ruth hit the home run in 1934 and later signed the ball. Of course, he finished his career with 714 round-trippers.
The ball was passed down for three generations in a Minnesota family before going up for sale. Somebody must of really wanted this particular item, as the winning bid was three times more than the estimated sale price by Hunt Auctions.
According to the museum’s website, some of the other items up for auction included a 1903 Cy Young autographed baseball bat attributed to the first World Series and a 2009 Yankees World Series Ring. Any chance it’s the same ring that went missing in June?
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 0
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)