Nov 13, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, the ball Babe Ruth hit for his 702nd career home run went for $264,500 earlier today at the Louisville Slugger Museum’s seventh annual live auction.
Ruth hit the home run in 1934 and later signed the ball. Of course, he finished his career with 714 round-trippers.
The ball was passed down for three generations in a Minnesota family before going up for sale. Somebody must of really wanted this particular item, as the winning bid was three times more than the estimated sale price by Hunt Auctions.
According to the museum’s website, some of the other items up for auction included a 1903 Cy Young autographed baseball bat attributed to the first World Series and a 2009 Yankees World Series Ring. Any chance it’s the same ring that went missing in June?
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59