Nov 13, 2010, 6:10 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, the ball Babe Ruth hit for his 702nd career home run went for $264,500 earlier today at the Louisville Slugger Museum’s seventh annual live auction.
Ruth hit the home run in 1934 and later signed the ball. Of course, he finished his career with 714 round-trippers.
The ball was passed down for three generations in a Minnesota family before going up for sale. Somebody must of really wanted this particular item, as the winning bid was three times more than the estimated sale price by Hunt Auctions.
According to the museum’s website, some of the other items up for auction included a 1903 Cy Young autographed baseball bat attributed to the first World Series and a 2009 Yankees World Series Ring. Any chance it’s the same ring that went missing in June?
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PHT: Blackhawks rattle Rask in Game 4
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT Extra: Will the Spurs recover for Game 7?
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- HBT: Hamilton dropped to 7th in Angels lineup