Nov 13, 2010, 11:45 AM EST
That’s the word from ESPN’s Buster Olney, who writes that the Cardinals could use Juan Uribe at third base or shortstop.
Uribe, who turns 32 in March, batted .248/.310/.440 with 24 homers and 85 RBI this past season. And though he had a lousy .149 batting average during the playoffs, he also had his fair share of big hits, which will probably boost his value this winter.
If Uribe signs with St. Louis, I could see him being used in a similar role as he was in San Francisco. The Cardinals still hope David Freese can be their everyday third baseman eventually, but he is a question mark after undergoing procedures on both of his ankles late in the season. Uribe could function as insurance at the hot corner while also stepping in for Brendan Ryan at shortstop and Skip Schumaker at second.
Uribe isn’t the only possible solution, though. According to Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, “Tony La Russa and a front-office faction” have long pushed for the addition of Miguel Tejada, who is also a free agent this winter. The 36-year-old batted .269/.312/.381 with 15 homers and 71 RBI between the Orioles and Padres this past season, playing both third base and shortstop.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)