Nov 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
David DeJesus and his $6 million salary for 2011 was shipped off to the Athletics earlier this week, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he doesn’t intend to invest the cost savings in free agents.
“It’s not cost effective at this time for us to be real aggressive with major-league free agents,” general manager Dayton Moore said.
“Our stance on potentially adding something (major through free-agency),” Moore said, “is it would really have to fit long term. That guy doesn’t exist right now, and I don’t know who that would be. “We’re not just going to add somebody to make our payroll higher for one year.”
Uh, Dayton, what about Jeff Francoeur?
It’s easy to say that the Royals are just being cheap here, but after Moore handed out contracts to the likes of Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik and Jason Kendall last offseason, it’s probably a good thing they plan to sit on the sidelines.
Nobody expects the Royals to pose any sort of threat in the American League Central next season, so they are better off just biding time until top prospects like Eric Hosmer, Mike Montgomery, Mike Moustakas and John Lamb are ready for the big leagues.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris