Nov 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EST
David DeJesus and his $6 million salary for 2011 was shipped off to the Athletics earlier this week, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he doesn’t intend to invest the cost savings in free agents.
“It’s not cost effective at this time for us to be real aggressive with major-league free agents,” general manager Dayton Moore said.
“Our stance on potentially adding something (major through free-agency),” Moore said, “is it would really have to fit long term. That guy doesn’t exist right now, and I don’t know who that would be. “We’re not just going to add somebody to make our payroll higher for one year.”
Uh, Dayton, what about Jeff Francoeur?
It’s easy to say that the Royals are just being cheap here, but after Moore handed out contracts to the likes of Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik and Jason Kendall last offseason, it’s probably a good thing they plan to sit on the sidelines.
Nobody expects the Royals to pose any sort of threat in the American League Central next season, so they are better off just biding time until top prospects like Eric Hosmer, Mike Montgomery, Mike Moustakas and John Lamb are ready for the big leagues.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 45
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)