Nov 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EST
David DeJesus and his $6 million salary for 2011 was shipped off to the Athletics earlier this week, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he doesn’t intend to invest the cost savings in free agents.
“It’s not cost effective at this time for us to be real aggressive with major-league free agents,” general manager Dayton Moore said.
“Our stance on potentially adding something (major through free-agency),” Moore said, “is it would really have to fit long term. That guy doesn’t exist right now, and I don’t know who that would be. “We’re not just going to add somebody to make our payroll higher for one year.”
Uh, Dayton, what about Jeff Francoeur?
It’s easy to say that the Royals are just being cheap here, but after Moore handed out contracts to the likes of Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik and Jason Kendall last offseason, it’s probably a good thing they plan to sit on the sidelines.
Nobody expects the Royals to pose any sort of threat in the American League Central next season, so they are better off just biding time until top prospects like Eric Hosmer, Mike Montgomery, Mike Moustakas and John Lamb are ready for the big leagues.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)