Nov 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
David DeJesus and his $6 million salary for 2011 was shipped off to the Athletics earlier this week, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he doesn’t intend to invest the cost savings in free agents.
“It’s not cost effective at this time for us to be real aggressive with major-league free agents,” general manager Dayton Moore said.
“Our stance on potentially adding something (major through free-agency),” Moore said, “is it would really have to fit long term. That guy doesn’t exist right now, and I don’t know who that would be. “We’re not just going to add somebody to make our payroll higher for one year.”
Uh, Dayton, what about Jeff Francoeur?
It’s easy to say that the Royals are just being cheap here, but after Moore handed out contracts to the likes of Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik and Jason Kendall last offseason, it’s probably a good thing they plan to sit on the sidelines.
Nobody expects the Royals to pose any sort of threat in the American League Central next season, so they are better off just biding time until top prospects like Eric Hosmer, Mike Montgomery, Mike Moustakas and John Lamb are ready for the big leagues.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)