Nov 13, 2010, 2:35 PM EDT
David DeJesus and his $6 million salary for 2011 was shipped off to the Athletics earlier this week, but Royals general manager Dayton Moore told Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star that he doesn’t intend to invest the cost savings in free agents.
“It’s not cost effective at this time for us to be real aggressive with major-league free agents,” general manager Dayton Moore said.
“Our stance on potentially adding something (major through free-agency),” Moore said, “is it would really have to fit long term. That guy doesn’t exist right now, and I don’t know who that would be. “We’re not just going to add somebody to make our payroll higher for one year.”
Uh, Dayton, what about Jeff Francoeur?
It’s easy to say that the Royals are just being cheap here, but after Moore handed out contracts to the likes of Rick Ankiel, Scott Podsednik and Jason Kendall last offseason, it’s probably a good thing they plan to sit on the sidelines.
Nobody expects the Royals to pose any sort of threat in the American League Central next season, so they are better off just biding time until top prospects like Eric Hosmer, Mike Montgomery, Mike Moustakas and John Lamb are ready for the big leagues.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)