Nov 13, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Now that Juan Samuel has decided to return home to Philadelphia, the Orioles still have vacancies at third base coach and bench coach. According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, former Pirates manager John Russell interviewed Friday for the two openings on Buck Showalter’s staff.
*Russell was fired by the Pirates in October after compiling a 186-299 record (.384) over three seasons as manager. He was previously the third base coach in Pittsburgh from 2003-05 under then-manager Lloyd McClendon. Showalter is also looking for a catching instructor, so Russell seems to be a pretty good fit for the job.
Gary Allenson, who was the O’s third base coach for the final three months this past season, would likely return to Triple-A Norfolk in the event that Russell is hired. Former Mets manager Willie Randolph and Orioles’ fan favorite Mike Bordick remain in the mix for the coaching positions, as well.
*By the way, just go ahead and try to find a picture of John Russell smiling. It’s not as easy as you think. In addition to the one on the right, I also stumbled upon this, this and this. Just about sums up his tenure as manager in Pittsburgh, no?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 93
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 150
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (150)