Nov 13, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Now that Juan Samuel has decided to return home to Philadelphia, the Orioles still have vacancies at third base coach and bench coach. According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, former Pirates manager John Russell interviewed Friday for the two openings on Buck Showalter’s staff.
*Russell was fired by the Pirates in October after compiling a 186-299 record (.384) over three seasons as manager. He was previously the third base coach in Pittsburgh from 2003-05 under then-manager Lloyd McClendon. Showalter is also looking for a catching instructor, so Russell seems to be a pretty good fit for the job.
Gary Allenson, who was the O’s third base coach for the final three months this past season, would likely return to Triple-A Norfolk in the event that Russell is hired. Former Mets manager Willie Randolph and Orioles’ fan favorite Mike Bordick remain in the mix for the coaching positions, as well.
*By the way, just go ahead and try to find a picture of John Russell smiling. It’s not as easy as you think. In addition to the one on the right, I also stumbled upon this, this and this. Just about sums up his tenure as manager in Pittsburgh, no?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)