Nov 13, 2010, 8:55 AM EDT
This is news to me. Joe Janish of Mets Today has information about Terry Collins’ 2002 DUI arrest in Augusta, Georgia.
Former major league manager Terry Collins was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.
The 53-year-old Collins, in his first year as minor league field coordinator with the Los Angeles Dodgers, was stopped by police on the 3100 block of Washington Road, a major Augusta thoroughfare, around 2 a.m.
Collins, who managed the Astros (1994-96) and Angels (1997-99), was also charged with operating an unsafe vehicle and driving without a license on his person.
Janish writes that the purpose of the post was not to smear Collins’ reputation, but to put everyone on an equal playing field. And by “everyone,” he means Wally Backman. We all know about Backman’s legal troubles by now, so to ignore Collins’ past mistakes would be pretty hypocritical, but the fact that Collins also has a DUI arrest doesn’t Backman anymore qualified for the Mets’ managerial job than he was yesterday.
As a Mets fan, I’m not leaning towards one candidate in particular here. I felt the same way back in 2004 before Omar Minaya settled on Willie Randolph. Part of this is because Bobby Valentine is the only potential candidate who would get me excited (what can I say, he’s the last manager to get the Mets to the World Series), but also because I care much more about the composition of the team on the field. But, honestly, comparing Backman’s baseball resume to that of Collins is largely apples and oranges.
That won’t stop Backman supporters from blaming the media if he doesn’t get a second interview, which is the exact reason why I decided to post this information this morning. I want everyone to be aware that Collins had a DUI in 2002. I hope the beat reporters and New York sports talk radio jump all over this story. If, despite all that, Collins comes back for a second interview and eventually ends up getting the job, it will tell you that Sandy Alderson’s decision had more to do with baseball than anything else.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 85
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 68
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 70
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 73
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)