Nov 13, 2010, 8:55 AM EST
This is news to me. Joe Janish of Mets Today has information about Terry Collins’ 2002 DUI arrest in Augusta, Georgia.
Former major league manager Terry Collins was arrested early Thursday morning and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, according to the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office.
The 53-year-old Collins, in his first year as minor league field coordinator with the Los Angeles Dodgers, was stopped by police on the 3100 block of Washington Road, a major Augusta thoroughfare, around 2 a.m.
Collins, who managed the Astros (1994-96) and Angels (1997-99), was also charged with operating an unsafe vehicle and driving without a license on his person.
Janish writes that the purpose of the post was not to smear Collins’ reputation, but to put everyone on an equal playing field. And by “everyone,” he means Wally Backman. We all know about Backman’s legal troubles by now, so to ignore Collins’ past mistakes would be pretty hypocritical, but the fact that Collins also has a DUI arrest doesn’t Backman anymore qualified for the Mets’ managerial job than he was yesterday.
As a Mets fan, I’m not leaning towards one candidate in particular here. I felt the same way back in 2004 before Omar Minaya settled on Willie Randolph. Part of this is because Bobby Valentine is the only potential candidate who would get me excited (what can I say, he’s the last manager to get the Mets to the World Series), but also because I care much more about the composition of the team on the field. But, honestly, comparing Backman’s baseball resume to that of Collins is largely apples and oranges.
That won’t stop Backman supporters from blaming the media if he doesn’t get a second interview, which is the exact reason why I decided to post this information this morning. I want everyone to be aware that Collins had a DUI in 2002. I hope the beat reporters and New York sports talk radio jump all over this story. If, despite all that, Collins comes back for a second interview and eventually ends up getting the job, it will tell you that Sandy Alderson’s decision had more to do with baseball than anything else.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 7
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (93)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (82)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)