Nov 14, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
The following scenario is completely hypothetical and should not be taken as an actual rumor, much less a completed deal.
Rays acquire second baseman Dan Uggla from the Marlins for outfielder B.J. Upton and shortstop Jason Bartlett.
Why it works for Tampa Bay: The Rays finished third in the AL in runs scored last season, but the team was sixth in homers and eighth in slugging percentage. With Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena both potentially leaving in free agency, the team needs to add some power and Uggla hit five more homers last season than anyone on the Rays. He has four straight 30-homer seasons to his credit. Top prospect Desmond Jennings and Reid Brignac can replace Upton and Bartlett, respectively.
Why it works for Florida: The Marlins don’t need to save money in an Uggla deal. In all likelihood, they’d get trouble in with the MLBPA again if they didn’t spend Uggla’s money elsewhere. Upton and Bartlett combined to make $7 million last year, while Uggla came in at $7.8 million. Both newcomers would be due raises in arbitration, but not major ones after down years. Upton would give the team a high-upside center fielder to replace the one they just parted with Saturday. Bartlett could step in at second base for a year and potentially provide a big upgrade on defense.
Why it won’t happen: While I like the idea of Upton for Florida, Bartlett probably isn’t worth his $4 million-$5 million salary, particularly if he’s not playing shortstop. The deal would look a lot better for the Marlins with Brignac included instead, but that’d be too much for the Rays to give up for one year of Uggla, particuarly when Uggla is going to making $10 millon-$12 million and eating up a good portion of the team’s financial flexibility.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)