Nov 14, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
I can’t believe what I just saw!
Is it just me, or does over half a million bucks for a bat from 1988 seem excessive? Because that’s what the bat Kirk Gibson used to hit his famous walkoff homer in the 1988 World Series went for last night. $575,912 to be exact. Other items sold: the batting helmet he wore ($153,388.80), his MVP award ($110,293.20), his World Series trophy ($45,578.40) and his World Series road uniform ($9,664.80).
I was unaware that players got their own World Series trophy. I also find it neat that someone paid nearly ten grand for a road uniform that never saw game action (Gibson, you’ll recall, did not play in the 1988 Series apart from that famous plate appearance). Of course, I stopped trying to find rationality in the prices people pay for sports memorabilia years ago.
Gibson is pocketing the money for the bat, the helmet and the jersey. Proceeds from the trophies are going towards his foundation. The guy who bought the bat can now show it to people who come over for parties and, ten seconds later, after they say wow and give some smiling nods, he can go refill their cocktails and wonder whether he’s getting his $575,000 worth.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)