Nov 14, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
I can’t believe what I just saw!
Is it just me, or does over half a million bucks for a bat from 1988 seem excessive? Because that’s what the bat Kirk Gibson used to hit his famous walkoff homer in the 1988 World Series went for last night. $575,912 to be exact. Other items sold: the batting helmet he wore ($153,388.80), his MVP award ($110,293.20), his World Series trophy ($45,578.40) and his World Series road uniform ($9,664.80).
I was unaware that players got their own World Series trophy. I also find it neat that someone paid nearly ten grand for a road uniform that never saw game action (Gibson, you’ll recall, did not play in the 1988 Series apart from that famous plate appearance). Of course, I stopped trying to find rationality in the prices people pay for sports memorabilia years ago.
Gibson is pocketing the money for the bat, the helmet and the jersey. Proceeds from the trophies are going towards his foundation. The guy who bought the bat can now show it to people who come over for parties and, ten seconds later, after they say wow and give some smiling nods, he can go refill their cocktails and wonder whether he’s getting his $575,000 worth.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 46
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 26
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)