Nov 14, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
A bit of rough news here.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the father of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson died on Saturday night due to injuries sustained upon being struck by a vehicle in St. Petersburg, Florida. Authorities are investigating the incident, but no charges have yet been filed against the 21-year-old driver.
John Alderson, a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, was 87 years old.
The younger Alderson’s Mets are on an extensive search for a new manager. That search will probably be put on hold for the next week as the Alderson family grieves.
Sandy was handed the Mets’ general manager post in late October and has compiled an impressive front office thus far. He’s trying to bring playoff baseball to Citi Field and seems to be on the right track.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)