Nov 14, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
A bit of rough news here.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the father of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson died on Saturday night due to injuries sustained upon being struck by a vehicle in St. Petersburg, Florida. Authorities are investigating the incident, but no charges have yet been filed against the 21-year-old driver.
John Alderson, a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, was 87 years old.
The younger Alderson’s Mets are on an extensive search for a new manager. That search will probably be put on hold for the next week as the Alderson family grieves.
Sandy was handed the Mets’ general manager post in late October and has compiled an impressive front office thus far. He’s trying to bring playoff baseball to Citi Field and seems to be on the right track.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 36
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)