Nov 14, 2010, 7:20 PM EST
A bit of rough news here.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the father of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson died on Saturday night due to injuries sustained upon being struck by a vehicle in St. Petersburg, Florida. Authorities are investigating the incident, but no charges have yet been filed against the 21-year-old driver.
John Alderson, a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, was 87 years old.
The younger Alderson’s Mets are on an extensive search for a new manager. That search will probably be put on hold for the next week as the Alderson family grieves.
Sandy was handed the Mets’ general manager post in late October and has compiled an impressive front office thus far. He’s trying to bring playoff baseball to Citi Field and seems to be on the right track.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (110)