Nov 14, 2010, 7:20 PM EDT
A bit of rough news here.
Adam Rubin of ESPN New York reports that the father of new Mets GM Sandy Alderson died on Saturday night due to injuries sustained upon being struck by a vehicle in St. Petersburg, Florida. Authorities are investigating the incident, but no charges have yet been filed against the 21-year-old driver.
John Alderson, a veteran of World War II, Korea and Vietnam, was 87 years old.
The younger Alderson’s Mets are on an extensive search for a new manager. That search will probably be put on hold for the next week as the Alderson family grieves.
Sandy was handed the Mets’ general manager post in late October and has compiled an impressive front office thus far. He’s trying to bring playoff baseball to Citi Field and seems to be on the right track.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)