Brad Penny is going to be in the best shape of his life

Nov 15, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT

Brad Penny

If you’ve been reading my stuff for a while, you know that I obsessively track those players who are reported to be “in the best shape of their life” each spring.

Best Shape of His Life stories can take a couple of different forms. There’s the straightforward “Player X is looking good” story which, if we’re lucky, actually uses the phrase “best shape of his life.”  Close relatives to these stories are the “Pitcher X has developed a new pitch/developed a new grip/is standing on the other end of the rubber now” stories and “Player Y has taken up yoga/medicine ball work/Thighmaster and is now way more flexible than he used to be.  The specifics aren’t terribly important. What’s key is that they are put out there by some anonymous source or agent or someone, and are clearly designed to counteract a public flaw assigned to the player the previous season related to conditioning, fragility or just plain sucking.  They’re as predictable as the first crocuses of spring.

And they’re getting earlier!  Today we had what I consider to be my first official sighting of a Best Shape of His Life story. Self-reported, from Brad Penny:

Heading to the gym. I’m going to be i’n the best shape I’ve ever been for the upcoming season.

I know the season just ended, my friends, but with that report, I feel like spring is right around the corner!

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 15, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I have a feeling he will be. Have you SEEN his new bride???

• JBerardi - Nov 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM

No, but I have a feeling she’s a tall, tan blonde woman who inspires male sports fans to embarrassing displays of juvenile, useless sexuality.

2. stealofhome - Nov 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I’m not so sure that’s really him. I mean, who would fake being brad penny, but weirder things have happened.

3. pipkin42 - Nov 15, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Brad Penny will not be in the best shape of his life. Brad Penny is not in the best shape of his life. Brad Penny was not in the best shape of his life.

4. lunatic96 - Nov 17, 2010 at 1:17 AM

It would be nice if your tech gurus stopped screwing around with the site and fixed the rss feed so that clicking on a link in my rss feed would take me straight to the actual post instead of some stupid page where I have to click another link in order to read the comments.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (4017)