Nov 15, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
The BBWAA has released the results, and Buster Posey is the National League Rookie of the Year.
As expected, Posey and Heyward were number one and number two. Following them on the ballot were Jaime Garcia, Gaby Sanchez, and Neil Walker, respectively. Starlin Castro was sixth. I was rather surprised to see anyone get first place votes besides Posey and Heyward, but Garcia got one and Sanchez got two. I was also surprised to see the BBWAA website spell Jason Heyward’s name incorrectly — they went with “Hayward” – but I suppose I’m the last one who can get on anyone about typos.
Posey put up a .305/.357/.505 line 18 homers, 23 doubles and 67 RBI while playing excellent defense at catcher. Heyward’s line was .277/.393/.456, with 18 homers, 29 doubles and 72 RBI. While not nearly as valuable defensively as the catcher Posey, Heyward was solid in right field himself.
The biggest difference, of course, was playing time, with Heyward began the season on the big club while Posey, in contrast, cooled his heels in Fresno for nearly two months, making his 2010 debut on May 29th. The voters obviously felt that the 77 plate appearance difference between the two was not large enough to be the determining factor.
Like I said yesterday: neither Heyward nor Posey could complain about coming in second to the other. Either would have been a fabulous choice. As it stands, that choice is Buster Posey.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 91
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 27
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)