Nov 15, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
The BBWAA has released the results, and Buster Posey is the National League Rookie of the Year.
As expected, Posey and Heyward were number one and number two. Following them on the ballot were Jaime Garcia, Gaby Sanchez, and Neil Walker, respectively. Starlin Castro was sixth. I was rather surprised to see anyone get first place votes besides Posey and Heyward, but Garcia got one and Sanchez got two. I was also surprised to see the BBWAA website spell Jason Heyward’s name incorrectly — they went with “Hayward” — but I suppose I’m the last one who can get on anyone about typos.
Posey put up a .305/.357/.505 line 18 homers, 23 doubles and 67 RBI while playing excellent defense at catcher. Heyward’s line was .277/.393/.456, with 18 homers, 29 doubles and 72 RBI. While not nearly as valuable defensively as the catcher Posey, Heyward was solid in right field himself.
The biggest difference, of course, was playing time, with Heyward began the season on the big club while Posey, in contrast, cooled his heels in Fresno for nearly two months, making his 2010 debut on May 29th. The voters obviously felt that the 77 plate appearance difference between the two was not large enough to be the determining factor.
Like I said yesterday: neither Heyward nor Posey could complain about coming in second to the other. Either would have been a fabulous choice. As it stands, that choice is Buster Posey.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)