Nov 15, 2010, 8:50 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, the Chiba Lotte Marines are about to post Tsuyoshi Nishioka for MLB teams. Beverly Hills Sports Council will be his representation stateside.
Nishioka, 26, led Japan’s Pacific League with a .346 batting average, 121 runs scored and 206 hits this past season.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports speculates that the posting free could reach $15-20 million in a thin market for free agent shortstops. That sounds like an awful lot for someone who Patrick Newman of FanGraphs used in the same sentence as Ryan Theriot last week. Remember, in addition to the posting fee, the winning team would have to negotiate a contract with Nishioka.
We learned last week that the Dodgers are Nishioka’s preferred landing spot and that the team is known to have scouted the player. Ironically, Nishioka could be a fit at second base if the team non-tenders Theriot.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)