Nov 15, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
Jon Heyman says that Cliff Lee’s agent has told teams that Lee is “not taking offers yet” and that he doesn’t see Lee signing before the Winter Meetings next month.
I don’t understand. Why would you not take offers yet? If a team makes an offer, that’s information. Could be leverage. You don’t have to accept it, especially if it’s a b.s. offer. If it comes with conditions on accepting it or rejecting it within a certain time frame you can tell the team to go fly a kite. But why wouldn’t you at least listen to an offer?
I can’t decide if the free agency process is unnecessarily complicated or if it’s actually straight forward, but those of us interpreting all of the news, rumor, leaks and what not merely make it complicated ourselves.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)