Nov 15, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Jon Heyman says that Cliff Lee’s agent has told teams that Lee is “not taking offers yet” and that he doesn’t see Lee signing before the Winter Meetings next month.
I don’t understand. Why would you not take offers yet? If a team makes an offer, that’s information. Could be leverage. You don’t have to accept it, especially if it’s a b.s. offer. If it comes with conditions on accepting it or rejecting it within a certain time frame you can tell the team to go fly a kite. But why wouldn’t you at least listen to an offer?
I can’t decide if the free agency process is unnecessarily complicated or if it’s actually straight forward, but those of us interpreting all of the news, rumor, leaks and what not merely make it complicated ourselves.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 19
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 37
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)