Nov 15, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
See what happens when you try to put football where baseball belongs?
It’s been a rough year for Harry Caray.
First came the move of his statue, and now comes the news that the Cubs accidentally damaged it while making over the ballpark for the Nov. 20 Northwestern-Illinois football game.
It’s a Liberty Bell-style crack in the base, apparently. Of course, given that Harry never struck me as a type-A perfectionist kind of guy, my guess is that, wherever he is, he doesn’t care much about it. “Wow, that’s greaht!” he’s probably saying. Actually, that’s more like Will Farrell saying it like Harry Caray would say it, but you get what I’m driving at. Anyway, here’s the most disturbing thing from the article:
The statue existed without incident for 11 years at the corner of Addison and Sheffield, except for a couple pranks in which someone hung a dead goat carcass on the statue. That occurred once in 2007, and again before the home opener in 2009.
Damn Pagans must be living on No-Doz!
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)