Nov 15, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
See what happens when you try to put football where baseball belongs?
It’s been a rough year for Harry Caray.
First came the move of his statue, and now comes the news that the Cubs accidentally damaged it while making over the ballpark for the Nov. 20 Northwestern-Illinois football game.
It’s a Liberty Bell-style crack in the base, apparently. Of course, given that Harry never struck me as a type-A perfectionist kind of guy, my guess is that, wherever he is, he doesn’t care much about it. “Wow, that’s greaht!” he’s probably saying. Actually, that’s more like Will Farrell saying it like Harry Caray would say it, but you get what I’m driving at. Anyway, here’s the most disturbing thing from the article:
The statue existed without incident for 11 years at the corner of Addison and Sheffield, except for a couple pranks in which someone hung a dead goat carcass on the statue. That occurred once in 2007, and again before the home opener in 2009.
Damn Pagans must be living on No-Doz!
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 30
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 36
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 45
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)