Nov 15, 2010, 2:48 PM EST
Because of a unique clause in his contract Hisanori Takahashi became a free agent when the Mets failed to sign him to a new contract by November 5 and now Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Phillies are interested in signing him.
Philadelphia is already said to be close to a two-year deal to keep Jose Contreras, but the Phillies could view Takahashi as the left-handed replacement for J.C. Romero, whose $4.5 million option for 2011 was declined last week.
Takahashi split his rookie season between the bullpen and rotation but had most of his success as a reliever, going 6-2 with a 2.04 ERA in 41 relief outings compared to 4-4 with a 5.01 ERA in 12 starts.
New York reportedly offered Takahashi a one-year deal to stay, but various sources have suggested that the 35-year-old southpaw is looking for a two- or three-year contract worth around $5 million per season. He may have a tough time getting that much money for that many seasons, but the Phillies are apparently willing to sign Contreras to a multi-year deal and he’s actually four years older than Takahashi.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)