Must-Click Link: The Periodic Table of Hall of Famers

Nov 15, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT

Click Here large

Every week or two, Larry Granillo at Wezen-Ball comes up with something that can only be classified as pure genius. This time I think he’s topped himself: the Periodic Table of Hall of Famers.  The table is hereThe explanation, here. Short version: Willie Mays is boron, Cap Anson is rubidium Tom Seaver is ununoctium, and there’s a reason for all of that.

I wish my brain worked that way.

1. Jonny 5 - Nov 15, 2010 at 10:09 AM

That was pretty awesome. I thought he could have found some room on there for Pete Rose though, Ya know as a Halogen or Alkali…….

• BC - Nov 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I think Pete Rose would be Mercury – poisonous and slippery.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Poison??? I eat mercury all the time, and i’m fine, I think……. Who said that? I just heard someone tell me that Jesus built my hot rod…. What does this mean?

• Utley's Hair - Nov 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM

That was Mike Sweeney.

2. Roger Moore - Nov 15, 2010 at 10:57 AM

As a chemist, I feel compelled to sneer. He’s done a better than average job of making a fake periodic table, but that’s not saying much. Most of the table is full of large blocks that aren’t coherently sorted. He should try harder to have the players well sorted within those large blocks. There’s simply no excuse for having Red Ruffing, Gabby Hartnett, and Pie Traynor in a column.

For example, within the 500 HR club, I would try to have the players roughly sorted into columns by defensive position and then within the column by defensive skill. So Ernie Banks, the only shortstop in the group, would be alone as Boron. Then Killebrew, Mathews, and Schmidt, the players with time at third, would be Carbon, Silicon, and Germanium. The next column would have Murray, Foxx, McCovey, and Mantle, while the final column would have Williams, Ott, Robinson, Aaron, and Mays.

• lar @ wezen-ball - Nov 16, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone, and especially yours, Roger. It was probably the most informative comment I got today.

Keeping player qualities coherent within rows is certainly an important aspect that I mostly didn’t consider when making the chart. As I said in the piece, my main criteria when structuring the rows/columns within each group was quality of player and quality of character/personality. So, ideally, the best player, talent and character wise, would be in the top right, with players to his left and below him close to him in one or both of those aspects. Willie Stargell, for example, moves far to the right for his character, while Catfish Hunter moves far to the left because, while being a good character guy, his talent just wasn’t enough.

It’s not quite as scientific as what you propose, and maybe not as good, but that was my thought process.

3. Richard In Big D - Nov 15, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Gaylord Perry is 4 team logos short of reality. Why did he choose SF?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet