The Best and Worst Uniforms of All Time: The Chicago White Sox

Nov 15, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

White Sox shorts

No team has messed around as much as the Chicago White Sox. You name it, and they’ve done it: black, white, red, blue, classic, modern, pinstriped, plain. There has been a lot of bad in there, no question, but a lot of good too.

The Best: Chicago more or less had it together before the mid 1970s, and have more or less had it together since the early 90s. I may be in the minority in really liking their red and white pinstriped look. I mean, this looks good, doesn’t it? And I’m open to the suggestion that no team ever looked better in light blue road uniforms than the mid-60s Sox did. Still, I have to admit that the Sox look best in black and white.

The Worst. You think I’m gonna go with the obvious choice, don’t you? Well, I’m not. Why? Because they only wore the shorts for one half of a double header, so it’s not like it was a usual thing. Obviously awful — and how were they supposed to slide in those things? — but it would be unfair to the many, many other bad looks the Sox have sported over the years to pick that one. I mean really, that big baggy look they normally wore during the late 70s was plenty awful even in the long pants version. But for my money they’re not the worst. My choice? The doubleknits they rocked in the early 80s. Just hideous, really, and that would be the case even if they never tried to stuff Greg Luzinski in them. I mean, at least he looked moderately comfortable when they let him wear his shirt un-tucked.

Assessment: I know the White Sox are the poster children for awful uniform choices, but none of their looks — even the shorts — were as bad as a team I’m going to mention tomorrow. Because for as aesthetically un-pleasing as the White Sox could often be, at least they were trying interesting things out of a sense of whimsy or adventure.

1. andrewkw - Nov 15, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I didn’t realize they only wore the shorts for one game. Interesting. Lots of bad uniforms…

2. RickyB - Nov 15, 2010 at 12:28 PM

First, the White Sox never looked right in the red. Second, how about a picture of Ozzie Guillen so you can see the number on the pant leg to get a better idea of why the unis were so bad:

And LaMarr Hoyt looked every bit as uncomfortable as Luzinski:

Always loved the logo LaRussa is rockin’ here:

Granted, I am about the same age as Craig, so my critique of style may not always be spot on having grown up in Chicago in the late ’70s-’80s …

Craig, you really should have pointed out how awful the cursive C hat was after those hideous uniforms, and they kept the number on the pants to boot!

• hackerjay - Nov 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I think the red pin stripes were the worst. Maybe the ones with the collars too.

I’m sure it’s just a product of growing up in Chicago in the ’80s, but I like the look of the doubleknit shirts they wore back then. I think they should use that as the alternate instead of the black shirts they have nowadays.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Every single gym teacher, and coach, I have ever had. Have always worn those exact shorts in different colors. And when seen outside of school, the same shorts.

4. Jack Marshall - Nov 15, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Good for you, Craig, for giving the White Sox credit for creativity, even if it usually did blow up in their faces. I think you were right to pick the cereal box design as the worst, too. The shorts and big collars are in the “Plan 9 From Outer Space” class…so bad, they’re good.

5. stevepwagner - Nov 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I was never a big fan of the red pinstripes but that picture http://www.northtonorth.com/images/baseball.jpg of Dick Allen is everything I want to see in a White Sox dugout.

6. warmowski - Nov 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Man, the red pinstripes were BY FAR the best and most classic. I envy teams that get a classic look and don’t screw much with it. That run of nightmarishly bad designs from ’76 on is just plain embarrassing.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2932)