Nov 15, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
The Best: The home uniform has been fairly constant, ranging from a no-number-on-the-front version to a numbered version, and switching between pullover and button-up as trends have dictated. It looks good in all of those guises, but I think I prefer the button-up, numbered version — which has been in use for most of the past 25 years — the best. Just a nice, clean, sharp uniform.
The worst: I like their classic powder blues just fine, but they really screwed things up when they brought them back a couple of years ago. Tops only, a light blue cap, and using them at home? Booo! All blue, on the road or GTFO. And the dark blue jersey on the road is weak sauce too, though better than the current light blue usage, and better than a lot of teams that go with the solid tops on the road. The worst ever is less an aesthetic choice than a philosophical one: vests and black accents. What an unfortunate nod to cynical trends.
Assessment: the Royals of my youth were the class organization in the American League. I kind of hated them for that, but I always thought they looked good. In both inspiring such hatred and in looking good, they kind of sound like the Dodgers, no? Kind of look a lot like them too. There are worse looks to emulate. As long as they keep it nice and straight forward, they’ll always look good, even when they’re playing bad.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)