Nov 15, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Best: The home uniform has been fairly constant, ranging from a no-number-on-the-front version to a numbered version, and switching between pullover and button-up as trends have dictated. It looks good in all of those guises, but I think I prefer the button-up, numbered version — which has been in use for most of the past 25 years — the best. Just a nice, clean, sharp uniform.
The worst: I like their classic powder blues just fine, but they really screwed things up when they brought them back a couple of years ago. Tops only, a light blue cap, and using them at home? Booo! All blue, on the road or GTFO. And the dark blue jersey on the road is weak sauce too, though better than the current light blue usage, and better than a lot of teams that go with the solid tops on the road. The worst ever is less an aesthetic choice than a philosophical one: vests and black accents. What an unfortunate nod to cynical trends.
Assessment: the Royals of my youth were the class organization in the American League. I kind of hated them for that, but I always thought they looked good. In both inspiring such hatred and in looking good, they kind of sound like the Dodgers, no? Kind of look a lot like them too. There are worse looks to emulate. As long as they keep it nice and straight forward, they’ll always look good, even when they’re playing bad.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 2
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)